Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Burgularies May 23rd last

Options
  • 28-05-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭

Our house was broken into last Friday morn at 5am and a number of items taken. I searched internet to see if this is a common occurance in Sligo and it seems that it is. I heard of at least one other house in Sligo town being burgled last Friday morning.

Did anyone else hear anything more about it?

Its very annoying to think of all the things that have been taken by these opportunists but what I will say to any people in Sligo

LOCK YOUR DOORS and

TAKE VALUABLES OUT OF YOUR CAR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's common everywhere at the moment. The upswing in rural burglaries have taken the spotlight, but it's happening all over. I know a few people who've been burgled in the last year or so. Horrible thing to happen.
    It amazes me the amount of people who don't even leave a light on when they're away. Lock all doors, shut all windows, close curtains and don't leave car keys in plain sight. It may not stop a burgler, but any disincentive is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Were you in the house at the time? I've started hiding valuables before leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Were you in the house at the time? I've started hiding valuables before leaving the house.

Yes we were and my wife heard them, scary and we have 1 year twins, so mortified they will come back

Guards were here

They stole video with our only kids birth video disk inside

Really sad to lose this

Lack of safety a real concern

Another house was burgled to and the school in summerhill was broken into last week as well as lots of cars

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes we were and my wife heard them, scary and we have 1 year twins, so mortified they will come back

Guards were here

They stole video with our only kids birth video disk inside

Really sad to lose this

Lack of safety a real concern

Another house was burgled to and the school in summerhill was broken into last week as well as lots of cars

Not enough burglaries are solved and when they are, the sentencing is light. Usually it's several convictions before a custodial sentence is inacted.
    I know more than one person who preserved the scene only for gardai to tell them the forensics wouldn't be coming or in one case, they'd be out to them "in a few days".
    The odd "crackdown" as they like to call them is inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Advertisement

Thefts from cars is very common these days. The missus' mother has had it happen twice. Outside cemeteries seems to be a favourite. Even outside churches when a funeral/wedding is taking place. That article said the cars were unlocked but I know a few people who just had their window put in. Sometimes all that was taken was some loose change they had in the ashtray for tolls etc.

il gatto wrote: »
    Thefts from cars is very common these days. The missus' mother has had it happen twice. Outside cemeteries seems to be a favourite. Even outside churches when a funeral/wedding is taking place. That article said the cars were unlocked but I know a few people who just had their window put in. Sometimes all that was taken was some loose change they had in the ashtray for tolls etc.

Thefts from cars different people guards told us, ours still at large

Thefts from cars different people guards told us, ours still at large

Hope they catch them. Losing the DVD must be upsetting. As well as the intrusion to your home obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - maybe you should have mentioned the general area you live in? Because if some Boardsie's here live near by, it would certainly give them a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

OP - maybe you should have mentioned the general area you live in? Because if some Boardsie's here live near by, it would certainly give them a heads up.

Was just going to ask that, just in case those co-ordinates were fake (Tonaphubble Lane)! Apparently we had some here (Kevinsfort Area), and an arrest was made due to footage recorded by a neighbour's security camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

You could start looking for your belongings in the Sligo county council sponsored car park in the center of the town or in Ballyfree....your lucky that you only lost a video not like the poor man Eugene Gillespie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Not sure if it's relevant to this thread but Dromore West Post Office was robbed at gunpoint at 9:30 this morning.

bonzos wrote: »
    You could start looking for your belongings in the Sligo county council sponsored car park in the center of the town or in Ballyfree....your lucky that you only lost a video not like the poor man Eugene Gillespie.

Yes I guess your right

Ok we live at cemetery road area, car windows are smashed on passing cars regularly, cars broken into I don't know where they were, but the estate opposite londis was robbed too and tonnaphubble a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Ok we live at cemetery road area, car windows are smashed on passing cars regularly, cars broken into I don't know where they were, but the estate opposite londis was robbed too and tonnaphubble a few weeks back
    Do you mean Cleveragh Road or Cranmore?

Collery drive, guards said they arrested a man the other day but we are waiting to hear back more, they are busy enough without us interfering but i might ask for an update before end of week.

Also just discovered a nintendo DS that we never use has been stolen too, crikey.

Ironic??!

Advertisement