Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with the Linksys WRT54GL

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi!

So let me explain my situation...

We've moved out to our chalet for the summer and I've decided to set up a hub using a cat5 line. I've a Huawei HG556a Wireless modem from Vodafone Ireland, to which I'm taking a feed from. We were told by the people that sold us this router that it would work with our modem. Until now I've yet to set up this after several failed attempts.

Could anyone out there give me some tips or advice as to how to sort this one out? As you can all imagine we've spent the best part of €70 on this router, telling us that it's an "easy set up" (surely a case for false advertising?!)

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

So you already have a modem and you want to somehow add the HG556a to it? If you have a ADSL connection from your ISP why not just the HG556a as it is already a ADSL modem/router! It's not so clear (at least to me) what you are trying to achieve.

Thinking about this you want to connect a WRT54GL router to the HG556a? If you are just looking to expand the number of Ethernet ports, why not just use a simple switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SeamusS

So, I've this HG556a modem. I have taken a feed from it, via cat5 cable, to the chalet next door. The idea was that this feed would drive the Linksys WRT54GL, or so that was the advice we got just before we bought it. Sorry if I wasn't a little clearer in my original post - as you can imagine not having this thing work is a little frustrating at this stage! TKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SeamusS

This Linksys WRT54GL would also act as a wireless hub too...

There are loads of guides online. Here is one example. Sorry I have never done this. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

How about trying this:

router B = Linksys, router A = HG556a

Leave router A as is.

Set up router B to run as access point only:

- assign a non-conflicting LAN IP address to router B, e.g. 192.168.1.2 instead of 192.168.1.1
    - assign gateway on router B to 192.168.1.1 <may not be available as an option on the Linksys, if not don't worry about it>
    - turn off the DHCP server on router B
    - connect a numbered LAN port of router B with a numbered LAN port of router A
    - do not use the wan port of router B. It remains empty. <tip: cover the wan port with some tape to avoid ever using it>
    - ignore the internet connection settings in router B.

Now router A is the gateway router for your LAN. It also runs the DHCP server for your LAN. Wireless client connected to router B will get their IP address from router A and use router A for internet connection. You can assign a different wireless SSID on router B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement