Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vern Cotter to become new Scotland coach

Options
  • 27-05-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

in 2014.

Looks like Vern Cotter has agreed to become the new coach of Scotland when his current contract expires with Clermont...Link

Should be a good move for Scotland but its a long wait. Also doesn't give him too much time with ahead of the 2015 world cup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

in 2014.

Looks like Vern Cotter has agreed to become the new coach of Scotland when his current contract expires with Clermont...Link

Should be a good move for Scotland but tits a long wait. Also doesn't give him too much time with ahead of the 2015 world cup.

Bit harsh on Scot Johnson, still coaches like Cotter have to be snapped up when they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

leftleg wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Scot Johnson, still coaches like Cotter have to be snapped up when they are available.

Nah, Johnson's been moved up to Director of Rugby. He's just covering head coach until a new one is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Slowly but surely New Zealand coaches are taking over the world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Ummm...does this not strike anyone as one of the most ridiculous managerial selection processes ever seen? So, let me get this straight, he's announced as new scottish coach, is available for interviews next week, but doesn't actually take over the job until June 2014. Meanwhile Scott Johnson carries on as de facto coach with Cotter doing precisely what in relation to Scottish rugby..presumably floating around in the background...daft. The SRU is a pretty useless organisation (see the complete destruction of professional rugby in the Borders), but this marks a new low...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Bizarre stuff really, he's a quality coach so him coming at the end of this season (i.e. now) would be great for Scotland, but hardly ideal for a season to pass before him taking over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah it's a very strange situation and I can't see the Scottish fans being happy with it.

Can you imagine if we'd Les Kiss as interim coach until Cotter took over Ireland next June?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

At least Scotland won't be making any finals for them to choke in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Cotter's just trying to keep up with Joe. Failed at the Heineken cup but is getting one more shot before he gets a chance to try and get the first Grand Slam of the two of them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Podge_irl wrote: »
    At least Scotland won't be making any finals for them to choke in....

http://www.hiyoooo.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

It's an insidious disease with no known cure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Honestly though, Scotland getting Cotter seems like such a waste and a giant risk for him if he ever planned on going for the AB job.

DGRulz wrote: »
    Honestly though, Scotland getting Cotter seems like such a waste and a giant risk for him if he ever planned on going for the AB job.

Yes & no. There's so much potential in that you're starting with relatively low expectations. The alternative is going back to SXV coaching, with a big pay-cut etc. I don't think it's unfeasible that Schmidt & Cotter could one-day form an AB coaching ticket, so as long as one of them has success, the other can come in on the coat-tails. At the moment Dave Rennie would seem to be the main opposition, he's very highly regarded in NZ, I dont think the NZRFU would touch Deans again with a barge pole, and there's also Gatland of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ugggh, Vern could you not have announced this a few weeks earlier, if you don't win the HEC you'll consider your position....maybe Leinster would have held on a couple more weeks.

Not that I have any problem with Matt O'Connor, I'm very optimistic about his arrival, but Vern is amongst the best in the business in my opinion, and probably on a par with Joe Schmidt in my estimation.

I don't think he can take the blame for the psychological frailty of his team, but the brand of rugby they play is spectacular. The only European matches Joe lost in his entire reign was to Vern's team, and we played everybody worth playing.

I will be very interested to see how he gets on with Scotland.

No question though, both himself and Joe are in a race for the New Zealand job and this might actually be a knee jerk reaction to Joe's appointment, as the perception is you need international success to be in line for the NZ job. Gatland may be next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah it's a very strange situation and I can't see the Scottish fans being happy with it.

Can you imagine if we'd Les Kiss as interim coach until Cotter took over Ireland next June?

Actually the Scottish fans I know are pretty happy with this. Unlike Les Kiss in Ireland, Scott Johnson is a popular choice as head coach due to a decent effort in this years six nations. Most would have taken him as full time coach. So, to have him for another year and then get someone as highly rated as Cotter is seen a quite a coup here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ugggh, Vern could you not have announced this a few weeks earlier, if you don't win the HEC you'll consider your position....maybe Leinster would have held on a couple more weeks.

Not that I have any problem with Matt O'Connor, I'm very optimistic about his arrival, but Vern is amongst the best in the business in my opinion, and probably on a par with Joe Schmidt in my estimation.

I don't think he can take the blame for the psychological frailty of his team, but the brand of rugby they play is spectacular. The only European matches Joe lost in his entire reign was to Vern's team, and we played everybody worth playing.

I will be very interested to see how he gets on with Scotland.

No question though, both himself and Joe are in a race for the New Zealand job and this might actually be a knee jerk reaction to Joe's appointment, as the perception is you need international success to be in line for the NZ job. Gatland may be next in line.

Why oh why would he leave Clermont to go to Leinster, he wants to step up a level

Apparently he's resigned as Clermont coach today.

danthefan wrote: »
    Apparently he's resigned as Clermont coach today.

I feel sorry for him, he's done a great job with Clermont, but he'll always have the HEC loss this year (& Fofana's dropped ball over the line the year before). Makes me slightly nervous about ever having him as an AB coach too...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He has offered his resignation. Clermont board were unhappy with his agreement to join Scotland a year in advance, apparently, and the recruitment policy comments.. They'll convene a meeting next week to decide on whether to accept his resignation but it seems a done deal.

SRU Twitter:
    Reports on Cotter's alleged resignation are news to him, he will seek clarity. "I'm surprised, I'll do some enquiry."

• Advertisement

Odd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ive been trying to figure out, who coached Clermont before Cotter?

Why oh why would he leave Clermont to go to Leinster, he wants to step up a level

Ah! Good thing he's going to Scotland then!

Personally, I'm surprised he chose to take the Scottish job. I can understand a coaches desire to get into international rugby, but I reckon sometimes you're better off waiting for the right opportunity. Scotland have some very good attacking back players, but I don't see them as a side that anyone could make a major impact with to be honest.

I think after losing the Heineken Cup final, leaving was immediately on the cards, and I think had the Leinster job still been available, he would have taken that if offered, top European team to build your credentials wit further, maybe wait out someone like Gatland, or see what happens with the Welsh job, rather than taking a potentially poisoned challace of Scotland.

He still has a lot to prove at European club level. Guys like Schmidt and Gatland didn't when they stepped up to international level (as multiple Heineken Cup winning coaches).

I wouldn't want Cotter at Leinster. I don't understand your desire for him - Clermont play nice rugby but they win **** all even with a giant chequebook that Leinster don't have.

Ah I'm not saying I want him, I'm perfectly happy with the appointment of MOC, just definitely would have been a consideration if he was on the market.

He is a great coach though, and given their work together, about as close as you're going to get to Schmidt2.0. You can see it in the way Clermont play.

Leinster may not have the Clermont cheque book, but Clermont don't have about 100,000 school boys at their disposal to bring into academy rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Cotter at Leinster. I don't understand your desire for him - Clermont play nice rugby but they win **** all even with a giant chequebook that Leinster don't have.

I'll take him if he convinces Fofana to folow him. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If he is out of a job for a year before he joins Scotland maybe he'll come work with us first!

Advertisement