Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Particle Physics

Options
  • 27-05-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Right so, I was just wondering is it possible to actually self teach particle physics for the Leaving. The exam is this day three weeks so I was wondering is that enough time to teach it or should I leave it. I only want to do it so I can have an extra question to do seeing that I get an extra 10mins of exam time (Reasonable Accomodations on behalf of my deafness). For the mock, I managed to do 6 questions on Section B so with an extra 10mins, that can mean a better time spent on one question that I'm the weakest in and that would be Waves and honestly, I have no clue about it. I think I would do better in PP than Waves really.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

You should definitely do the Particle Physics as it is very short. However, you must have done Modern Physics in order to do the Particle Physics option. My teacher says that they have started to ask some of the Modern Physics section in the option as they have run out of things to ask. Everything you need to know is here: http://www.studentxpress.ie/Physics/Physics%20Option%20Notes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

lostatsea wrote: »
    You should definitely do the Particle Physics as it is very short. However, you must have done Modern Physics in order to do the Particle Physics option. My teacher says that they have started to ask some of the Modern Physics section in the option as they have run out of things to ask. Everything you need to know is here: http://www.studentxpress.ie/Physics/Physics%20Option%20Notes.pdf

I have done some parts on Modern Physics, I suppose I can try to finish it and move onto PP. So it is possible am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I would definitely do it. I find it one of the easiest topics, and the questions are very repetitive aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Yeah definitely its fairly easy and the questions are quite repetitive. Definitely go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Yeah man so repetitive, gives more choice elsewhere then too!

• Advertisement

I'm just going through the past papers atm and I've come across a few questions asking for meson composition. I never knew we had to know that as its not in my book. Is there anywhere where i can find a list of the compositions for certain mesons?

A meson is just a quark and an anti-quark I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

A meson is just a quark and an anti-quark I believe?

Yes, but I think that you had to identify a pion from it's quark composition one year. Btw, apparently any meson using only the up/down quarks (and their anti particles) is a pion :P

Yes, but I think that you had to identify a pion from it's quark composition one year. Btw, apparently any meson using only the up/down quarks (and their anti particles) is a pion :P

Whats a kaon then?

Whats a kaon then?

Same as with the pion. Postive Kaon is up and anti-strange, negative is strange and anti-up. Not sure about a neutral Kaon, i think that might be slightly different.

What's a neutral Pion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Are these in the book somewhere? I only learned about the pion from a marking scheme.

Advertisement