Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for somewhere near Athenry to exercise dog off lead

Options
  • 27-05-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved to the Athenry area and am looking for somewhere quiet and safe to exercies a young dog off the lead. Can anyone suggest anywhere with in a 30min drive?

We are looking for somewhere we can throw a ball a good distance for her to chase. (With one of those tennis ball flickers.) Ideally somewhere safe were both her & I can take a swim afterwards.

She is a great dog. does not bother with sheep or other bitches but does occasionally bark at cats and male dogs. So even if a friendly local farmer has a field free of animals at present that we could access we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    KP

Apologies if this has been covered before, but my search is coming up short.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Heading out towards Derrydonnell Cross direction there is a forest on the right belonging to coillte you could walk her. Swimming wise I'm thinking Loughrea lake, weekend trip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Cheers Rubygirl.
    I hadn't thought of Loughrea, would be an excellent spot for a swim!
    Will check out the woods. Are they on the right just passed the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

kiwipower wrote: »
    Cheers Rubygirl.
    I hadn't thought of Loughrea, would be an excellent spot for a swim!
    Will check out the woods. Are they on the right just passed the factory?

Yes it's on the right coming closer to the cross. Be careful pulling in and out as it's near a bad bend, I'd turn the car to facing out incase a car pulls in behind u and wont give you enough room to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

You Could Try:

Monivea Woods, behind Monivea Rugby Pitches

Knock Ma, Near Belclare, Tuam.

Both Nice Forrested Walks.

Thanks guys!
    She has just come into her first season so will be excited to check these out once she is spade and allowed out of the house again!
    Would there be a good bit of field for flicking a tennis ball for her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Hiya kiwi

First of all welcome to Athenry,

Theres loads of fields around that arnt strictly open to the public but if your just walking your dog you should be fine..

Can i ask what area of athenry are you living in? as in the town itself.. caheroyan area.. monivea road.. tuam road?

I was born and bred in athenry.. moved away for college ect and have returned... as a child we explored the area alot... thrown out of house in morning, in for dinner and back out till dark... The good days:)

houbie wrote: »
    Hiya kiwi

First of all welcome to Athenry,

Theres loads of fields around that arnt strictly open to the public but if your just walking your dog you should be fine..

Can i ask what area of athenry are you living in? as in the town itself.. caheroyan area.. monivea road.. tuam road?

I was born and bred in athenry.. moved away for college ect and have returned... as a child we explored the area alot... thrown out of house in morning, in for dinner and back out till dark... The good days:)

Thanks Houbie,
    Am in the Caheroyan area.
    The BF would not be keen on taking the dog through fields without talking to the land owner first. Afraid they may shoot her on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

You could bring her for a run in the pitch in Caheroyan (the one with the hill at the back) if it's not being used. Just clean up after her if she makes a mess;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Down at the mart is another option, particular when there's nothing going on down there, you can walk down past Higgin's garage via the entrance to Lorro Gate estate and there are only a few people from the estate using it regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I used to bring my dog to Loughrea Lake, until one day two people flipped out because she was paddling at the edge of the water, they roared and screamed at me that their children were going to die because my dog would obviously pee and poop in the water. I don't know how they got to this step from watching her faff about at the waters edge on her lead bothering nobody. We used to go there frequently with and without the dog (always with her on her lead and with poop bags etc), but haven't been back since that, having strangers shout at me in public really shook me. So just be prepared to put your dog in the car and swim alone.

• Advertisement

I used to bring my dog to Loughrea Lake, until one day two people flipped out because she was paddling at the edge of the water, they roared and screamed at me that their children were going to die because my dog would obviously pee and poop in the water. I don't know how they got to this step from watching her faff about at the waters edge on her lead bothering nobody. We used to go there frequently with and without the dog (always with her on her lead and with poop bags etc), but haven't been back since that, having strangers shout at me in public really shook me. So just be prepared to put your dog in the car and swim alone.

No accounting for the reactions of some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dont be put off by those two. Theres a better chance one of their kids will pee in the water than your dog. Dogs pee on land to mark their territory. Peeing in water would be a waste of perfectly good scent markers.

If anyone ever says something like that to you again, ask them where do the fish in Loughrea lake go to do their business.

syklops wrote: »
    Dont be put off by those two. Theres a better chance one of their kids will pee in the water than your dog. Dogs pee on land to mark their territory. Peeing in water would be a waste of perfectly good scent markers.

If anyone ever says something like that to you again, ask them where do the fish in Loughrea lake go to do their business.

At the time I said "And you're telling me kids don't p!ss in the water??", they absolutely roared at me, that the dog warden was there and they were going to report me (not true but gives you a fright when "cornered"). I felt I'd never relax again if I went there with the dog, would always be worrying the same thing would happen. They weren't a couple, they were two separate people who came up to roar at me at the same time. I did stand up to them but it really shook me, if the OP is tougher than me you'll be fine :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

At the time I said "And you're telling me kids don't p!ss in the water??", they absolutely roared at me, that the dog warden was there and they were going to report me (not true but gives you a fright when "cornered"). I felt I'd never relax again if I went there with the dog, would always be worrying the same thing would happen. They weren't a couple, they were two separate people who came up to roar at me at the same time. I did stand up to them but it really shook me, if the OP is tougher than me you'll be fine :o

A swift F%&k off is what was needed. You want to report me to the dog warden, be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

There is (was?) a sign in the swimming area in Loughrea stating that animals are not allowed in the water. Perhaps linked to Blue Flag beach conditions.

And of course a sign like that gives everyone permission, an obligation even, to shout at people.:D

I have been nicely asked to remove my dog from the water, (it may have been the lifeguard that asked) and had no problem doing so.

There is (was?) a sign in the swimming area in Loughrea stating that animals are not allowed in the water. Perhaps linked to Blue Flag beach conditions.

And of course a sign like that gives everyone permission, an obligation even, to shout at people.:D

I have been nicely asked to remove my dog from the water, (it may have been the lifeguard that asked) and had no problem doing so.

That sign wasn't there then, this was a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

My family home is in the caheroyan area.. i always bring my dog out the fields there... never a problem bringing our last 3 family dogs out there ... in the past 20 years :)

ill private message you a perfect place

houbie wrote: »
    My family home is in the caheroyan area.. i always bring my dog out the fields there... never a problem bringing our last 3 family dogs out there ... in the past 20 years :)

ill private message you a perfect place

Hi Houbie,
    Thank you for all your suggestions.
    But
    Coming from a farming background, knowing how distressing it is for animals and farmers having people (and especially dogs) coming onto property without permision, I would only ever bring the dog onto farm land with a farmers permission. As I would consider anything else trespassing. I had been hoping that maybe a local Athenry farmer may have seen this post and would be willing to let us use their field when livestock were not present.

As for the sports fields, many of these have signs up not allowing dogs.

I would also prefer to keep discussions on thread as opposed to Private Message.

Thanks again.
    KP

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seanr12

Hi KP

Apologies for a rather late and probably useless response as I see most area's have been covered at this stage but I'd mate a note to post so just following through.

I work for the Office of Senator Lorraine Higgins and had mentioned this to her, she indeed herself said that the forest at Derrydonnell is a great spot for dog walking.

As I say, already covered but hopefully you have found somewhere suitable and welcome to Athenry :)

Advertisement