Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual work 33 hours?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

If I was working 33 hours @ €11 per hour over three days am I still eligible for a payment albeit very small?

I have tried working it out myself and this is what I have come up with:

33 hours * €11 per hour = €363

€363 - €60 (€20 for each of the three days) = €303.

€303 * 60% = €181

Would I then still receive €7 from Jobseeker's Allowance?

I want to stay on Jobseeker's Allowance, however small, as doing so will keep me eligible for BTEA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

As as I know 32 hours per week is considered full time employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    As as I know 32 hours per week is considered full time employment.

I was onto Citizen's Information and they said for rent supplement 29/30 hours is considered full time, but she thinks I would be okay doing 33 hours for Jobseeker's Allowance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As both JSA and rent allowance are means tested it would be a fair assumption that 30 hours max per week would be applied.

mp22 wrote: »
    As both JSA and rent allowance are means tested it would be a fair assumption that 30 hours max per week would be applied.

My own Social Welfare Office gave me the formulas and when I pressed them on how much I could work and still receive something they basically told me to bring them in a pay slip, or come into them after I have the hours - the problem with this is if I am working too many hours I will lose my payment and therefore my eligibility to BTEA.

I called another Social Welfare Office and they told me I just scrape receiving €7 - this is without taking account of PRSI/PAYE which would have me receiving an extra €10 or so - and that if I earn any more an hour than €11 or any more hours than 33 I will lose it and the maximum hours for anyone regardless of hourly rate is 36.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

How many days, not hours, would you be working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The OP says 33 hours over 3 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

mp22 wrote: »
    The OP says 33 hours over 3 days.
    Sorry missed that.

On welfare.ie FIS classes full time as:

Full-time employment means that you work at least 19 hours every week (or 38 hours every fortnight) and that your job is likely to last at least 3 months.
    In relation to Rent Supplement and MIS, it is classed as more than 29 hours per week.

It is not specified in the JSA/JSB guidelines what constitutes full time hours.

I found a paper on welfare.ie re: casual JSA/JSB:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Review-of-the-Application-of-the-Unemployment-Benefit-_-Assi.pdf

I'm on a mobile device at the moment so copying isn't working correctly, but have a look at section 4.4.5 of the above document (pg 43).
    It basically says there is no definition. So you can just submit your application and see how you get on.

cee_jay wrote: »
    Sorry missed that.

On welfare.ie FIS classes full time as:

In relation to Rent Supplement and MIS, it is classed as more than 29 hours per week.

It is not specified in the JSA/JSB guidelines what constitutes full time hours.

I found a paper on welfare.ie re: casual JSA/JSB:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Review-of-the-Application-of-the-Unemployment-Benefit-_-Assi.pdf

I'm on a mobile device at the moment so copying isn't working correctly, but have a look at section 4.4.5 of the above document (pg 43).
    It basically says there is no definition. So you can just submit your application and see how you get on.

Thank you for all the information and the link.

Because I work I do not receive Rent Supplement or MIS and that is fine.

As I have said I just want to receive some JA payment to keep me eligible for the BTEA but considering it looks like I will be cutting it very close to no payment at all only receiving €7 I might just tell them I am working 28 hours and try to reduce my work hours.

Eligibility for the BTEA needs reform.

Advertisement