Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant with the LLB?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone, just looking for some info regarding the SUSI grant and my LLB.
    I'm just after finishing my 3BA course with English and Legal Studies at NUIG.

I've been told that my application for the one year LLB is automatic for next year. One of the lecturers gave a quick talk during class on the course however they weren't sure if it is regarded as a level 9 postgrad as it's actually more of a 8.5?

I received a grant last year through SUSI but I was technically a dependant of my parents as I had no proof of address. This year I have proof of address for 12 months so I would be self dependent.

SUSI have sent me a letter regarding renewal but I'm not sure what my next move is? Has anyone else applied for this grant while doing the one year LLB?

I am a mature student as well (over 23) does this have some significance?

Thank you for any advice on this matter.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

HorseField wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just looking for some info regarding the SUSI grant and my LLB.
    I'm just after finishing my 3BA course with English and Legal Studies at NUIG.

I've been told that my application for the one year LLB is automatic for next year. One of the lecturers gave a quick talk during class on the course however they weren't sure if it is regarded as a level 9 postgrad as it's actually more of a 8.5?

I received a grant last year through SUSI but I was technically a dependant of my parents as I had no proof of address. This year I have proof of address for 12 months so I would be self dependent.

SUSI have sent me a letter regarding renewal but I'm not sure what my next move is? Has anyone else applied for this grant while doing the one year LLB?

I am a mature student as well (over 23) does this have some significance?

Thank you for any advice on this matter.

Cheers

If this is a postgrad course then you will only get a postgrad grant of €2000 towards fees or upto €6270 towards fees

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

You cannot change status from dependent student to independent unless there is a 3 year gap

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1368781121/SI_159_of_2013_Student_Grant_Scheme_2013_Final.pdf
    Classes of applicant.
    13. (1) For the purposes of this Scheme there shall be two classes of applicant
    as follows—
    (a) independent student; and
    (b) dependent student.
    (2) An applicant’s class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved
    post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at
    their point of re-entry to such an approved course and will continue to apply
    for the duration of their studies.

(3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did
    not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from October of
    the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate
    course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved
    course.
    (4) “Mature student” means a student who on 1 January—
    (a) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved post leaving
    certificate course;
    (b) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved higher education
    course (other than a course known for the time being as a post leaving
    certificate course); or
    (c) in the year of re-entry to an approved course,
    is at least 23 years old.
    (5) “Re-entry”, for the purposes of this Scheme, means a mature student
    entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years, having previously attended an approved course.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HorseField

Thank you for your help

Advertisement