Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges / Fees

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I have an issue with the fees i have been charged. I spoke to BOI when they finished the free banking, and they advised me that i would automatically go on the fees/charges whereby the first 90 transactions were a set rate and then charged for any extra than that at 28c. I now get a bill for €44 for 28c for every transaction. Can you let me know who to PM my details to so this can be withdrawn and correct amount charged please! Another example of the banks chancing their arm. I bet any money that if i did not have enough transactions on my account to benefit from the 90 transactions flat rate you would have had me on that charge. This country is beginning to break my balls!!!

Please let me know who to PM my details to and get this sorted asap.

Thanks
    JB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi there

I have an issue with the fees i have been charged. I spoke to BOI when they finished the free banking, and they advised me that i would automatically go on the fees/charges whereby the first 90 transactions were a set rate and then charged for any extra than that at 28c. I now get a bill for €44 for 28c for every transaction. Can you let me know who to PM my details to so this can be withdrawn and correct amount charged please! Another example of the banks chancing their arm. I bet any money that if i did not have enough transactions on my account to benefit from the 90 transactions flat rate you would have had me on that charge. This country is beginning to break my balls!!!

Please let me know who to PM my details to and get this sorted asap.

Thanks
    JB
    Hi JB,

We have no access to account specific details.  You will be best off contacting your account holding branch directly to discuss this matter.  One of our representatives will be happy to go through your fees with you.

Please note Bank of Ireland never had free Banking, we have a 'No transaction fees offer' with certain criteria that customers need to meet to avail of it.

You can find the contact details for your branch here.

Thanks for taking the time to post 

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got my fees this morning, 42 euro. Friend of mine pays zero with TSB since he makes a minimum lodgement of 1500+ each month (his salary). 

Currently filling out the switch form. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Got my fees this morning, 42 euro. Friend of mine pays zero with TSB since he makes a minimum lodgement of 1500+ each month (his salary). 

Currently filling out the switch form. Happy days.
    Hi The Ayatolla,

We are sorry you are unhappy with your quarterly fees and are now closing your account.  Bank of Ireland values all their customers and we are sorry to learn we are now losing your business.  If you would like we would be happy to arrange for a staff member from your branch contact you to discuss this matter. 

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Seán

Hi The Ayatolla,

We are sorry you are unhappy with your quarterly fees and are now closing your account.  Bank of Ireland values all their customers and we are sorry to learn we are now losing your business.  If you would like we would be happy to arrange for a staff member from your branch contact you to discuss this matter. 

Seán
    By all means I'd welcome someone from the branch contacting me.

I tried contacting the branch by phone Friday but the automated phone system doesn't allow direct contact with the branch. It's like running around a maze. 

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

What a disgrace of a Bank, Just got my statement about charges, even though I was not warned that charges had been introduced. Needless to say after 20 years I will be puling the plug on my bank of Ireland account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What a disgrace of a Bank, Just got my statement about charges, even though I was not warned that charges had been introduced. Needless to say after 20 years I will be puling the plug on my bank of Ireland account.
    I just received the same. I was never notified that the criteria for no fee banking had changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I also got fees for **** all service, but at least i have the satisfaction of a tracker mortgage. Your treating your customers like dirt! Your day will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I signed the form to  get the 90 transactions at the set price, but they have charged me 28 cent for all transactions.
    P.T.S.B. here I come!

charging for wages going into my account , charges for moving money from my savings to my current account online........
    forget it .... its pure greed by the Bank of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi,

We will answer all customers in the one post.
    By all means I'd welcome someone from the branch contacting me.......

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Ayatolla, 

Please pm us your branch, full name and contact number, we will pass the information on and request a callback for you.

Hi Anthony, Gummy Panda, FaganJr and blackplum,

Thank you very much for posting. We have passed on all feedback to our Consumer Banking Team regarding the changes in the No Transaction Fee Offer. We do understand customers frustrations at this change and apologies for how this change was advised to our customers. 

Bank of Ireland values all their customers and we are sorry to hear anyone would be considering closing their accounts. Bank of Ireland continues to provide a market leading current account which we believe offers excellent value for money and continue to offer a wide range of services such as 365 online, the Mobile App for iPhone and Android phones which allows customers to check their account while on the go. We have an extensive branch network which we are constantly looking at ways to make Banking easier for example our new lodgement machines, including three external ones.

Thank you all again for your feedback.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks Linda. PM sent. if you could arrange a call back as soon as possible please that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Rose1000

Hi There,

I have received a bill for account fees of nearly €50 for three months. So I am going to be charged approx. €200 a year to bank with Bank of Ireland from now on? Can you please let me know when I was notified of these new fee charges?
    I have heard there is some sort of flat rate for 90 transactions - I was never given this option - why? My bill lists 28 Direct Debits for the period - I have about 3 per month so Id like to know what what exactly these 28 Direct Debits are. When I ring my branch I get an automated service in which I cant get through to an actual person to query these charges.

As a loyal customer of about 15 years I am not very happy and will be closing my accounts as soon as possible.
    Please let me know how to go about this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 neverfindaname

I just received the same. I was never notified that the criteria for no fee banking had changed.
    I got my first fee notification, 40e, I was cross, but with the thought of changing banks etc, it put me off, until yesterday....56e?! Bank of Ireland...I've bailed you out, several times, and as a customer for 16 years, it was the straw that broke the camels back. Moved all direct debits to my new ptsb account (with no fees!!). After this week, of ensuring all is ok with my new account....it will give me great pleasure to hand back my card to the boi, oh, and close my savings account, and close my son's account. 'Apparently' the bank have had notices 'everywhere' which is fine for people who physically go into banks, but for us to avail of free banking we did our banking online and never saw these fees....either or, I'm genuinely a happy camper now. Plus my account will be empty by the time you go for your fees....so ye can swing for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 neverfindaname

Hi,

We will answer all customers in the one post.

Hi Ayatolla, 

Please pm us your branch, full name and contact number, we will pass the information on and request a callback for you.

Hi Anthony, Gummy Panda, FaganJr and blackplum,

Thank you very much for posting. We have passed on all feedback to our Consumer Banking Team regarding the changes in the No Transaction Fee Offer. We do understand customers frustrations at this change and apologies for how this change was advised to our customers. 

Bank of Ireland values all their customers and we are sorry to hear anyone would be considering closing their accounts. Bank of Ireland continues to provide a market leading current account which we believe offers excellent value for money and continue to offer a wide range of services such as 365 online, the Mobile App for iPhone and Android phones which allows customers to check their account while on the go. We have an extensive branch network which we are constantly looking at ways to make Banking easier for example our new lodgement machines, including three external ones.

Thank you all again for your feedback.

Thanks
    Linda
    "Bank of Ireland continues to provide a market leading current account which we believe offers excellent value for money and continue to offer a wide range of services such as 365 online" .......not sure what rock Bank of Ireland are living under....PTSB, free banking.....that's excellant value for money peeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Rose1000,

We haven't introduced new fees however, we did make a change to the No Transaction Fees offer. For more information on this, please see here

When first opening your account the representative would have gone through the two fee options available and you would have been requested to select the option you required. 

The two fee options are:

Flat Fee option - €11.40 for up to 90 transactions per quarter, transactions in excess of 90 are charged at 28c each.
    Pay as You Go - 28c for each transaction.

To query the fee breakdown, please call Banking365 on 0818 365 365. Alternatively, to speak to a representative in your branch simply select option 5 and then option 4.

We would be sorry to lose you as a customer and if you do decide to go ahead with closing your account there are two options available:

a) Call into your local branch with photo id.
    b) Send a signed written request to your account holding branch ensuring to include clear instructions on how you would like the balance issued i.e. draft or credit transfer.

Thanks
    Tara

Tara,

I have never paid quarterly fees like this - If you have changed the "No transaction fee offer" this must mean you have introduced transaction fees - which guess what - makes them new fees! :-) Why do you think so many people on this thread are complaining? ....what do you think we are a bunch of fools haha!

You have attached a notice on your fees - when was this sent to me???

The idea that I picked a fee option over 15 years ago when I set up the account that comes into effect now is absolutely farcical !!

I rang banking 365 last night and the lady on the phone didnt have a notion how to answer any of my questions - including why I am being charged for 28 direct debits! Is anyone in the branch going to be able to answer my queries?

Permanent TSB all the way!! I think they call it "Ditch and Switch".

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have a savings account maturing at the end of July so can't ditch my account before they take the fees which is a shame. 

At least its sparked me to move to PTSB sooner and I will avoid fees in the next quarter. Lesson learned.

Hi Rose1000,

The amendment was to the qualifying criteria for the No Transaction Fees offer. When customers met a particular criteria, their current account fees, that were already in place, would be waived. 

The link attached was to a press release on our group website and not a customer letter. We notified customers of this change using the following methods:

Press release on our group website.
    Adverts in two national newspapers.
    Message on all Personal Current Account statements issued since November 2012, both paper and eStatements.
    In branch signage.
    We also used our presence on social media.

Apologies that your queries were not answered in full when you called Banking365. If you contact your account holding branch, using the phone options mentioned previously, a representative can check this for you. The branch can also check which fee option you selected on the account opening form.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara,

Can you please explain what the below sentence means - it reads like an instruction manual. Seems to be English but means nothing to me! what critieria did I meet?

"The amendment was to the qualifying criteria for the No Transaction Fees offer. When customers met a particular criteria, their current account fees, that were already in place, would be waived."

I think it would have been more efficient of Bank of Ireland to send a letter to their loyal and valued customers explaining the fees. I dont read signage in your branches on the odd occasions that Im there or take note of advertisements in news papers.

I look forward to receiving some sort of explanation of my account fees.

Thanks.

Hi Rose1000,

I was clarifying the change to the No Transaction Fees offer, which is in the link I had attached on my first reply. As mentioned, we have not introduced new fees and if a customer had not been charged fees before, they would most likely have been meeting the criteria for this offer in the past.

The qualifying criteria forthis offer has been changed:

Previous - Maintain a minimum credit balanceof €3,000 in your current account throughout the full fee quarter OR- Lodge at least €3,000 to your Personal Current Account AND Make 9 debitpayments from that account using 365 phone / online.

From 19 November 2012 - Maintain aminimum credit balance of €3,000 in your current account throughout the full fee quarter.

The minimum lodgement and 9debit transactions on 365 phone / online criteria no longer applies.

As mentioned in previous posts on this thread, all feedback regarding this change and how it was communicated has been passed on to our Consumer Banking Team.

We don't have access to specific account information here so would be unable to give an explanation of your own account fees. A representative in your account holding branch would be more than happy to go through this with you.

Thanks
    Tara

The qualifying criteria forthis offer has been changed:

Previous - Maintain a minimum credit balanceof €3,000 in your current account throughout the full fee quarter OR- Lodge at least €3,000 to your Personal Current Account AND Make 9 debitpayments from that account using 365 phone / online.

From 19 November 2012 - Maintain aminimum credit balance of €3,000 in your current account throughout the full fee quarter.
    And how many people outside of Bankers like yourselves and upper public servants do you think can achieve these ridiculous conditions.

What a ****ing joke.

I think i will highlight this JOKE with as many national radio shows as I can, pointing them DIRECTLY to this thread!

Starting with Matt Cooper maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 claire_power05

I have received a statement in the post yesterday also. I certainly will not be sticking with these thieves. I am changing my account to Permanent TSB. They only charge €12 per quarter if you don't meet the criteria, which is €1500 lodged into account in the month. Big difference. I have an outstanding loan with Bank of Ireland and tried to get in contact with my local branch to find out how much i have to pay off to get this loan over and done with. Do you think I could get an answer. Nope. Bank of Ireland will not have my custom any longer, along with three of my work colleagues also who too are disgusted with what they are being charged!! Disgraceful

Hi matt & Co

I would hope you might highlight what BOI are now doing with their Current account holders.
    Ripping them off again.
    Changed their T&C's for fess on current accounts, which is fair enough but they make the conditions impossible for the majority of the country to qualify!
    Only the extremely wealthy will Qualify.

Heres a link to their reps pathetically trying to justify the changes.

Makes me sick!

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056957849/2#post84821582

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Discostu1984

Hi guys,

Im new to this but I am annoyed enough by my experience today to warrant a bit of a rant.

I just cancelled my current a/c with bank of Ireland after receiving a fee notification statement requesting €38 from me.
     (This was not my first fee statement as I had received one the previous quarter requesting €68 from me for that quarter and charges retrospectively added from the beginning of the year)
     When I approached  a customer service rep in my a/c holding branch to close the account  I was informed that the fee had risen to €48 to include the flat fee of €11.70 which I had requested the previous quarter but was only now being applied at the beginning of the next quarter.
    The chap in the branch was nice  and instructed me to contact 365 on the phone to dispute the latest charge (0818 number by the way to get a few extra € out of me)
    I was told it could take 5 working days to resolve a dispute but because I was a few days into a new quarter the fee was correct in being applied. When I asked to contact a supervisor I was told that there was nobody available to talk to me.
    I decided to just pay it and see the back of them.
    I am currently with Permanent TSB  and so far i can only recommend them highly. The switcher was awkward as BOI refused to close my a/c so I had to switch all my direct debits manually.

I have been a long serving customer of Bank of Ireland and I am extremely disappointed in how they have  structured their fees.

I Also will be switching to PTSB tomorrow

Hi Discostu1984,

We're sorry to hear you have closed your account with us.  A dispute of this nature can only be assessed by the account holding branch. Could you please PM us your name and the branch you visited? We'd be quite keen to contact the branch directly to check their escalation procedures, as you shouldn't have been directed to raise this with Banking365. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 12 man3003

Hi BOI staff,

I've seen mentioned a few times that you're current account is 'market leading'? What market is that?

In the last 12 months the changes to my account I have noticed:
    1- No more bank Drafts (for less than 500)
    2- Re introduction of fees, 28c a transaction even for BOI-BOI online transactions
    3- Less windows open in all branches and an insistence on customers using machines for everything.

In what way is any of the above market leading? Or when you throw out a comment like maket leading can you back up what it actually refers to?

I've been a customer for more than 15 years but I am sick to the back teeth of the way ye are treating your customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us through boards.ie but we would like to clarify a few things in relation to your post above.

1- Although you cannot get a bank draft for under E500, there are many alternatives open to customers which most of the time can be easier and quicker for the customer. Customers can set up a standing order to the account they are transferring funds to; if it is a company, they may be able to set up a direct debit; for once off payments they can use Banking 365 Phone or Online banking which will also allow customers to use the Mobile App to make a transfer on the go.

2- If you please have a look at the above post from my colleague Tara, she explains how we have not reintroduced fees. This has been on Bank of Ireland current accounts for some time but many customers were qualifying for the No Transaction Fee Offer previously and we have amended how customers qualify for this offer.

3- Although many of our branches have been refurbished and it appears there are less counters, there is again many options available to customers. For example use of lodgement atms and statement printers; we also are encouraging customers to use Banking 365 Phone, Online and the Mobile App for their day to day banking as it allows customers to access their accounts any time of the day.

Just to mention, your points 1 and 3 effect all customers' regardless of the account they hold with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and hope this clarifies a few points.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Discostu1984

Hi Discostu1984,

We're sorry to hear you have closed your account with us.  A dispute of this nature can only be assessed by the account holding branch. Could you please PM us your name and the branch you visited? We'd be quite keen to contact the branch directly to check their escalation procedures, as you shouldn't have been directed to raise this with Banking365. 

Thanks
    Tara
    Hi Tara,

Thanks for the response.
    Its only a small amount of money but I am annoyed that I was never informed about the flat fee charge not being activated during my initial contact with Banking 365 3 months ago. The second conversation to Banking365 informed me it was being applied from the 17/05. Only then did i receive details of the dates for quarterly charges from the Banking365 customer service rep and also a pamphlet from the rep in my branch.

Cheers

I just find it comical that any time I lodged a large cheque or sum of money, Bank of Ireland were quick to ring me out of the blue to "come in for a cup of coffee to discuss investment options". Sure, very friendly when it comes to them earning a buck. No one mentions the flat rate option on any of these phone calls. 

Yes, I realise at the end of the day they are a business and are out to make money, but surely trying to keep current customers happy should be a company's second main aim.

• Advertisement

Hi Tara,

Thanks for the response.
    Its only a small amount of money but I am annoyed that I was never informed about the flat fee charge not being activated during my initial contact with Banking 365 3 months ago. The second conversation to Banking365 informed me it was being applied from the 17/05. Only then did i receive details of the dates for quarterly charges from the Banking365 customer service rep and also a pamphlet from the rep in my branch.

Cheers

Hi Discostu1984,

We've received your PM, thank you. I'll forward the details to the branch to ensure they are adhering to the correct escalation procedures.

Thanks again and if we can help with anything in the future, please feel free to ask.
    Tara

Advertisement