Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster fans thank Ulster fans

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭

Hope anyone won't mind me creating a special thread for this but I thought it deserved. I thought the Ulster fans were great on Saturday. They really got behind their team and are mad about rugby. They are also respectful and generally good craic up for a few pints and some banter. Even a few of them were giving a "Oiche Maith" on the way home!

Fair play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The 50/50 split in the ground i think did wonders for the atmposhere. Was great craic responding with COYBIB when the Ulster fans started SUFTUM. I think the Ulster fans should of shown more respect to kickers and match officials though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

iDave wrote: »
    The 50/50 split in the ground i think did wonders for the atmposhere. Was great craic responding with COYBIB when the Ulster fans started SUFTUM. I think the Ulster fans should of shown more respect to kickers and match officials though.

The Leinster fans boo'd Roman Poite last year when he went up to collect his medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, really don't mind the boo'ing, because there was never really any venom in it. It seems to be part of the Ulster fans repertoire. Some of the Ulster fans will disagree here, and it's obviously split some opinions, but Ravenhill is well known for getting on the back of a ref if a decision doesn't go there way. Is it disrespectful? No. That's stretching it, that's being a bit too precious. It's a game at the end of the day. You just had to talk to the Ulster fans after the game to realize there was no venom or disrespect in it. Great colourful fans imo. Just because they do things differently than Leinster fans doesn't make it bad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, really don't mind the boo'ing, because there was never really any venom in it. It seems to be part of the Ulster fans repertoire. Some of the Ulster fans will disagree here, and it's obviously split some opinions, but Ravenhill is well known for getting on the back of a ref if a decision doesn't go there way. Is it disrespectful? No. That's stretching it, that's being a bit too precious. It's a game at the end of the day. You just had to talk to the Ulster fans after the game to realize there was no venom or disrespect in it. Great colourful fans imo. Just because they do things differently than Leinster fans doesn't make it bad imo.

The game had 25 penalties and a lot of very close calls. A lot of the frustration is not helped by RTE's Donal Lenihan. There were times when a Leinster player was pinged for not releasing and - he thought I don't know why - it was because a player went off his feet. Then the slow motion replay would show no player off his feet and Donal would say that was a hard call.

I have said it before but RTE (especially with their budget) should have someone who understands the laws, how they are applied and all the ref signals as it is very confusing for fans.

In fairness to Lacey he had a high penalty count but he was consistent and he nearly identified the offender not just the offense. Both teams discipline at the break down wasn't exactly great either at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fair play to the Ulster fans, really played their part in generating what sounded like an awesome atmosphere!

(Out of interest, why were we booing Poite last year?)
    I have said it before but RTE (especially with their budget) should have someone who understands the laws, how they are applied and all the ref signals as it is very confusing for fans.

The time where he commended Munster for stealing their own lineout has to take the biscuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Get a room lads!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you think Lenihan is bad then try listen to some of the law observations that come from BBC's Jonathan Davies. For such a mercurial player he hasn't a clue about what's what from the referee on match day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Did people like the 50/50 split right down the middle, or would have mixing the supporters up worked as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Did not like booing of kickers. This is not soccer. Respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Swiwi wrote: »
    Did people like the 50/50 split right down the middle, or would have mixing the supporters up worked as well?
    I think it had to be done this way due to the Ulster fans constantly standing up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Has to be said the ulster lads have fierce weak bladders.

Couldn't get near the jacks at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,115 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I spent the whole game in the north stand in the middle of what was clearly hard core ulster fans, I had no problem being vocal and passionate and celebrating our scores and never once felt or heard any animosity. I had great banter with some of them, argued the toss over some calls and received many shaken hands after the game. The ulster fans are very boisterous and it was a strange but memorable experienced!

This booing / shouting during the kicking thing is being way over sold. It was minimal and when it happened they were hushed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

durkadurka wrote: »
    Has to be said the ulster lads have fierce weak bladders.

Couldn't get near the jacks at all.

Probably cause most of the Ulster fans drink more than their wine sipping leinster compatriots!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Probably cause most of the Ulster fans drink more than their wine sipping leinster compatriots!!

Nah it's the Harp. Sure it's that close to piss it must just flow straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I spent the whole game in the north stand in the middle of what was clearly hard core ulster fans, I had no problem being vocal and passionate and celebrating our scores and never once felt or heard any animosity. I had great banter with some of them, argued the toss over some calls and received many shaken hands after the game. The ulster fans are very boisterous and it was a strange but memorable experienced!

This booing / shouting during the kicking thing is being way over sold. It was minimal and when it happened they were hushed up.

Same here, it was a memorable experience to be surrounded by the passionate Ulster Supporters on Saturday. They were great craic from start to finish and magnanimous in defeat. They are a credit to their team and hopefully Ulster will be on the winning side in a final soon. (Against a team which isn't Leinster !)

Actually it bring new meaning to "stand up for the ulstermen " - other spectators keep having to stand up to let them go and "strain the spuds'

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swiwi wrote: »

I was a fan! But only really for big knock out games like that. For example I'd miss not being able to mingle with away fans during the league.

The segregation defo helped the atmosphere .
    But I don't want to have a situation where this is the norm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

tolosenc wrote: »
    (Out of interest, why were we booing Poite last year?)

I believe it was for the succession of penalties against the Leinster scrum. Particularly the continuous resets in one corner before half time (which I was right beside). It seemed to us that Spreys were dropping it as much if not more than Leinster and a lot of people took offence.

I somehow doubt most of the people booing at the end have an indepth knowledge of the scrum though. I found it quite distasteful tbh, and it was particularly loud where I was.

shaungil wrote: »
    Did not like booing of kickers. This is not soccer. Respect

Its a complete aside, but I've never entirely understood the "respect" aspect of staying silent for kicks. Particularly when its added to by people claiming the silence if more unnerving than the booing. Are you trying to show the kicker respect or trying to unnerve him? And why is making noise when a high ball is coming down acceptable?

I don't like booing in general, but I find the "shushing" brigade worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its a complete aside, but I've never entirely understood the "respect" aspect of staying silent for kicks. Particularly when its added to by people claiming the silence if more unnerving than the booing. Are you trying to show the kicker respect or trying to unnerve him? And why is making noise when a high ball is coming down acceptable?

I don't like booing in general, but I find the "shushing" brigade worse.

What really gets my goat is the stadium announcer in Thomond Park telling people to respect the great ancient Munster tradition of being silent for the kickers. Let people be silent all they want but announcing it is just "look at us, look at our great tradition arent we lovely"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Damn, I knew I used the gay seal picture too early!

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is that before or after that feckin' awful "stand up and fight" tune gets blared out over the tannoy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

awec wrote: »
    Is that before or after that feckin' awful "stand up and fight" tune gets blared out over the tannoy? :D

I'm surprised you had to put up with that at the RDS. Munster weren't even playing. Although I suppose when the IRFU, ERC, IRB, all the referees, stadium announcers, RTE presenters, Frankie Sheahan and The People's Front of Judea commit to a conspiracy they really commit. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

chupacabra wrote: »
    What really gets my goat is the stadium announcer in Thomond Park telling people to respect the great ancient Munster tradition of being silent for the kickers. Let people be silent all they want but announcing it is just "look at us, look at our great tradition arent we lovely"

Jesus even on a tread that has notting to do with Munster some people just can't but help themselves twist the knife

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

finatron wrote: »
    Jesus even on a tread that has notting to do with Munster some people just can't but help themselves twist the knife

He is a Munster fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wine?

Champagne!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Eponymous wrote: »
    Wine?

Champagne!

pffft!

cognac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

durkadurka wrote: »
    Nah it's the Harp. Sure it's that close to piss it must just flow straight through.

Yep. Made in Dundalk from sewage apparently...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Patronising thread.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,115 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

buck65 wrote: »
    Patronising thread.

do you feel patronised?

Advertisement