Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost per 24 hours in intensive care?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 7:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi sorry if this is not in right place.

A family member was put into intesive care on friday afternoon with heart problems they will be getting stints in on tuesday they have no health insurance or medical card and was just wondering does anyone know of cost of intensive care per night? Or know cost of stint operations?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

Public hospital by the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭AMCCORK

I think a public patient no med card pays €60/70 per night it's under €100 anyway and a max of ten nights in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You only pay the public bed fee, €75 a night up to a total max of €750. If they went in through A+E there will be €100 for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Thankfully thats alot better than i was expecting i was expecting 300euro plus a night in intensive care as they are on all the drips etc

How about the stint operation/procedure im guessing that will run into thousands?

Thankfully thats alot better than i was expecting i was expecting 300euro plus a night in intensive care as they are on all the drips etc

How about the stint operation/procedure im guessing that will run into thousands?

The bed charge is the only charge in a public hospital, it's €75 whether you are in an ordinary ward or ICU. All procedures, operations, scans and medicines are free (well paid for by our taxes!)

The bed charge is the only charge in a public hospital, it's €75 whether you are in an ordinary ward or ICU. All procedures, operations, scans and medicines are free (well paid for by our taxes!)

This is a good news our taxes finally came good for something, very happy with this news it makes you wonder whats the need for health insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

You only pay the public bed fee, €75 a night up to a total max of €750. If they went in through A+E there will be €100 for that too.

I don't think you have to pay the A&E charge if your visit results in admission. I'm very open to correction on that one though. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Hi sorry if this is not in right place.

A family member was put into intesive care on friday afternoon with heart problems they will be getting stints in on tuesday they have no health insurance or medical card and was just wondering does anyone know of cost of intensive care per night? Or know cost of stint operations?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

Public hospital by the way

Statutory charge of seventy five a night up to ten nights so seven hundred and fifty for accommodation. Check out exemptions though as certain illnesses are not charged. All procedures as inpatient are free if he/she is being treated as public patient. Charge for a and e admission if he went straight there and not thru gp. No charge if referred from gp.you are charged regardless of admission or not.

If they stay more than ten nights what is the charge or is it free from then on?

Its great news about procedures being free i had seen anerican prices for operations etc when i done a google search and got very afraid:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

No if you get to 750 you pay no more for inpatient stays for the rest of the year.

Vorsprung wrote: »
    No if you get to 750 you pay no more for inpatient stays for the rest of the year.

Thanks for reply. For once im happy with something in this country its gonna cost my father no more than 850euro to have stents put in if what ive been told here is right now to be fair that is very reasonable and again questions the need for health insurance or is health insurance more for getting private rooms and being seen quicker/getting operations quicker than those without insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Thanks for reply. For once im happy with something in this country its gonna cost my father no more than 850euro to have stents put in if what ive been told here is right now to be fair that is very reasonable and again questions the need for health insurance or is health insurance more for getting private rooms and being seen quicker/getting operations quicker than those without insurance?

The treatment will be the same in a public hospital - they won't prioritise a private patient with health insurance over a medical card holder or someone who has neither a med card or private insurance. Your dad will get good care (hopefully) regardless of how he pays - Private insurance really comes into it's own when you need to see someone i.e. a consultant urgently - three weeks in a private hospital or clinic as opposed to possibly years in a public hospital, or to have an urgent procedure done - there are other benefits of course.

A lot of patients who have private insurance don't always get into private wards in public hospitals simply because they are already full but with regard to their outpatient and follow on care they would visit their consultant possibly in their private clinics and not in the overcrowded outpatients depts.

The A&E 100€ charge will be cancelled when the person becomes an inpatient so no worries about that either.

Also follow up care, outpatients and perhaps rehab should be included in that initial charge and if he has to attend A&E again after discharge be sure to mention that he was/is attending the hospital so he won't be charged there again either, and even if he has to stay longer than 10 nights the charge will still be the same.

best wishes to your dad by the way.

The public system works well when you get acutely ill. As a public patient you can have a long wait for elective procedures, e.g. Hip replacement.

Thanks again for replys and good wishes youve all been very helpful and thankgod it wont cost an awful lot

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

dechol wrote: »
    Charge for a and e admission if he went straight there and not thru gp. No charge if referred from gp.you are charged regardless of admission or not.

I looked into this and that's incorrect.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/hospital_services/hospital_charges.html
    If you get admitted from A&E, there's no charge for the visit to A&E.

My reply above might be affected by this section on the page linked to by Biologic:
    Long-stay patients
    The HSE may impose hospital charges on long-stay or extended care patients, separately from the normal in-patient charges. If you have been an in-patient for more than 30 days within the previous 12 months, you will be liable for these charges. This applies to everyone, including medical card holders.

The Health (Charges for In-Patient Services) Regulations 2005 provide for different charging arrangements, depending on the level of nursing care being provided.

The maximum charge for anyone in public long-stay care is €175 per week. In addition, those in public long-stay care are divided into two groups:

Class 1: those receiving in-patient services in premises where nursing care is provided on a 24 hour basis. Maximum weekly charge for care will be the lesser of €175.00, or their weekly income less a sum of between €33.00 and €37.99.*
    Class 2: those receiving in-patient services in premises where nursing care not provided on a 24 hour basis. Maximum weekly charge will be the lesser of €130.00, or the person's weekly income less a sum of between €64.00 and €68.99.*
    If you are in hospital for more than 30 days and a doctor certifies that you do not need medically acute care and treatment you may be charged as if you were receiving long-term residential care services.

* There is further information on these charges and the amounts that patients can retain for their own use in the HSE's Charges for In-Patient Services National Guidelines 23 July 2011 (pdf).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Biologic wrote: »
    I looked into this and that's incorrect.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/hospital_services/hospital_charges.html
    If you get admitted from A&E, there's no charge for the visit to A&E.

Essentially the A&E charge is there to discourage people from using A&E as a GP service. Which some people definitely do, when I lived with nurses near CUH many, many years ago they told me not to bother finding a GP in the city when I had the A&E across the road. Of course not all cases that need to go to A&E require in-patient care though.

That it generates a bit of cash on the side is purely coincidental of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

This is a good news our taxes finally came good for something,

ypu have done well to get this far in life without using our road network, education system etc :pac:

on a serious note, anyone know what the actual cost to the hospital is to have someone in ICU?
    I've heard around €1000 a night, that true?

nino1 wrote: »
    ypu have done well to get this far in life without using our road network, education system etc :pac:

on a serious note, anyone know what the actual cost to the hospital is to have someone in ICU?
    I've heard around €1000 a night, that true?

A night in a normal ward costs around 900 quid.

A night in ICU will cost a multiple of that - there's the cost of the nurse which is a few hundred, the cost of the drugs (fancy drugs being ICU), the cost of the lines which the drugs go through (central lines can cost 3 figures a pop), the cost of the labs/blood gases, daily chest xrays if the patient is tubed, other fancy imaging.

This article suggests something around €2500 a night.

Advertisement