Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Med in Italy or Hungary?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey,

I did the LC, didn't get med here in Ireland so tried applying to a few European universities. Out of all, the two that were my top choices were Italy (University of Milan or university of Pavia) and Hungary (Semmelweis University, Budapest) and I got in both(the course is offered in English in both places btw). And now I'm confused as to which offer to take up. Ideally, I'd like to live in Italy more because it's safer and italian is a relatively easier language to learn than Hungarian so that's a + as well. However, the English Medicine Program in Budapest has been around for many years now and so is more...established (?) than the one in Italy which only started 3 years ago. That might affect my chances at employment, I think. But then, university of Milan and Pavia are very well reputed so may be it's not that big a deal?

Ah, I'm just pretty confused about which offer to take up, both are really good and have their share of pluses and minuses. Some help please. Anyone in the same situation or anyone know someone doing med in either places and know how is it going? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Hey,

I did the LC, didn't get med here in Ireland so tried applying to a few European universities. Out of all, the two that were my top choices were Italy (University of Milan or university of Pavia) and Hungary (Semmelweis University, Budapest) and I got in both(the course is offered in English in both places btw). And now I'm confused as to which offer to take up. Ideally, I'd like to live in Italy more because it's safer and italian is a relatively easier language to learn than Hungarian so that's a + as well. However, the English Medicine Program in Budapest has been around for many years now and so is more...established (?) than the one in Italy which only started 3 years ago. That might affect my chances at employment, I think. But then, university of Milan and Pavia are very well reputed so may be it's not that big a deal?

Ah, I'm just pretty confused about which offer to take up, both are really good and have their share of pluses and minuses. Some help please. Anyone in the same situation or anyone know someone doing med in either places and know how is it going? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi!! I did the IMAT but didn't get in, just missed out by a few points. Anyway, thinking of doing it again next year, how did you study for it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Hi!! I did the IMAT but didn't get in, just missed out by a few points. Anyway, thinking of doing it again next year, how did you study for it? :)

I done the IMAT as well. Got 48.5 or something like that. Not great tbh, the science part was grand but the reasoning part was hard for me!

I bought a BMAT book because it's the same company that prepares both the IMAT and BMAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

yoppo wrote: »
    I done the IMAT as well. Got 48.5 or something like that. Not great tbh, the science part was grand but the reasoning part was hard for me!

I bought a BMAT book because it's the same company that prepares both the IMAT and BMAT.

Haha I was the opposite! :D Do you think you'll get a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Haha I was the opposite! :D Do you think you'll get a place?

Unfortunately not. I'm 28 in Sept so not sure if i'll apply to Slovakia or somewhere (deadline is July), repeat the HPAT, or repeat the IMAT. Age is a major factor now :pac:

Most likely options 1 and 3 because I absolutely despised the HPAT.

What do you think you'll do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gurdy

Hey!

I'm studying medicine in Hungary at the moment. I'm not studying in Semmelweis but maybe I can answer some of your questions regarding studying/life in Hungary.

PM if you like :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement