Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Lathe

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a look through similar threads but couldn't find info on this particular model www.mcquillantools.ie/charnwood-w821-midi-lathe.html

I'm thinking of getting it for my Dad who is a retired carpenter. He's just getting over heart surgery and this looks like something he would enjoy, and which wouldn't be as heavy as the things he usually does. I did a bit some years back also, so would like to get back into it.

Also, does anyone know if Gleesons of Kilcock are still going? I saw the name a few times in the search results and I'm in the area. The above model would suit in terms of dimensions, I just have no experience to judge build quality/potential reliability issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Should be an OK lathe. It looks similar to the Axminster mini lathe which is Chinese made also. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awsl-woodturning-lathe-prod886581/

A problem I have heard on the Axi one though is that the motor will burn out after a while, don't ask me how long, I couldn't tell you. With any lathe, it'd be worth seeing it first, checking that the centres line up perfectly and that everything looks and works ok. They should have one on display that you could have a look at. The Carpentry Store in Naas are clearing some of their display items to make room for new stock. They may or may not be selling off their Jet mini lathes but it'd be worth checking. I'm hoping to get one if they are.

Scratch everything I suggested about that Charnwood lathe. Some of the reviews online don't paint a pretty picture. Just google it and you'll find quite a few negative reviews, one of which where it blew every fuse in some blokes house before the motor blew and when it was replaced the motor blew again after 45 minutes use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks, I saw that review alright but wasn't sure how specific the issue may have been to the guys house. The problem is for all models in my price range I seem to find an equal measure of good and bad comments... On balance the axminster seems to rate higher across reviews, although it seems like a gamble with all entry models!

edit: this one seems to tick the boxes on dimensions and reasonably positive reviews

www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ah-1218vs-woodturning-lathe-prod890273/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Your father might enjoy this and maybe it is a project both of you can work on. ;)

I like everything about this project: the way he mixed and matched old machine parts with wooden parts he made himself.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks for all your advice, went with a jet mini which is perfect for the space available. Just one more question, any tips on sourcing wood, or any reliable places to buy? We have piles of off-cuts in the garage (some teak, ash and loads of white deal), but would like to work on something a bit thicker. The logs we have are branch logs and I found them quite grainy to work with, and the cuts were very uneven despite sharpening and honing the chisels.

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice, went with a jet mini which is perfect for the space available. Just one more question, any tips on sourcing wood, or any reliable places to buy? We have piles of off-cuts in the garage (some teak, ash and loads of white deal), but would like to work on something a bit thicker. The logs we have are branch logs and I found them quite grainy to work with, and the cuts were very uneven despite sharpening and honing the chisels.

A friend of mine makes furniture and sells wood to other woodworkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 the woodworker

Hi I saw your thread and I am looking for a bigger moderately priced. I was looking at the record power cl3 or the charnwood w813 , but both are quite expensive. Any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

Hey the woodworker... if you're looking for a nice lathe i got the axminster awvsl 1000 and so far have turned up to 11inch bowls on it and anything i seem to throw at it it turns easily... have it over a year now and cost me less then €1000 delivered including bench grinder, chisels, face shield/masks, aswell as the clubman k10 chuck, type c dovetail jaws and alot of different tailstock centres also...

here's a link to my blog where i have pics and that of it... http://wexfordwoodworking.blogspot.ie/2012/03/my-new-lathe-axminster-awvsl1000.html

anything else on my blog was turned using it aswell... will show you it will do anything from bottle stoppers to the large bowls....

http://www.wexfordwoodworking.com

Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 12 the woodworker

Hey dmcgarry thanks for the advice. I have researched this lathe and think it is a good investment. Does anyone know anywhere in ireland to buy this lathe.
    And dmcgarry there nice turnings.

you'll find them rebranded throughout ireland under SIP and even charnwood i think, but for some reason i trust the axminster version more, i was advised by a veteran woodturner before to stay away from the record power lathes that have the tubular steel beds as these can flex easier then the flat beds and could cuase un-necessary tension when using tailstock and headstock on long spindles, once again it's only advice i received and i have never used one with tubular steel beds so have no experience of this but it sounded feasable to me and the fact that they are hollow i felt they would dent easier heaven forbid something was to fall on them or possibly clamping the tailstoch of headstock on them too tight over time might crimp them... once again thats only my thoughts on them...

P.S. Thanks for the compliments

• Advertisement

The Carpentry Store in Naas carry the Axminster chucks and jaws so I imagine they could also stock their lathes.
    Hey dmcgarry thanks for the advice. I have researched this lathe and think it is a good investment. Does anyone know anywhere in ireland to buy this lathe.
    And dmcgarry there nice turnings.

I think they just stock the brimarc range who in turn stock some Axminster stuff... I know they do jet lathes but they're definitely your best shot over here for them... Delivery is quite cheap to be honest from Axminster in england... Was under €100 delivery on mine and all the bits... Can get exact total price and delivery if you want...

Damien

Our one day workshop was today and they had an Axminster lathe there.
    dmcgarry wrote: »
    I think they just stock the brimarc range who in turn stock some Axminster stuff... I know they do jet lathes but they're definitely your best shot over here for them... Delivery is quite cheap to be honest from Axminster in england... Was under €100 delivery on mine and all the bits... Can get exact total price and delivery if you want...

Damien

Advertisement