Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a Seat Ibiza a good runner?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey,
    I plan on having a ibiza for a first car and i was just wondering is it a good runner and is is really slow due to it bieng a 1 litre.

Thanks for reading,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It is very slow, they're 45hp. A yaris 1.0 of that vintage is 65hp

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mark L

Well i would really mind if its slow but would it have a lot of problems as it wouldnt be to hard to insure but i wouldnt want a car that wouldnt break down a day after me getting it.?

Its a lottery. You need to know what you're looking at when you're buying it.
    At small change price level the condition of the car is as important as the make.

That said I wouldn't have an Ibiza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its a lottery. You need to know what you're looking at when you're buying it.
    At small change price level the condition of the car is as important as the make.

That said I wouldn't have an Ibiza.
    Of course you wouldn't! Neither would I if I drove a 3L V6 Jag. :)

@MarkL: I have a VW polo with the same engine. It's fine for learning how to drive and, haven driven to Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Galway both ways in the same day, I find it a perfectly fine car for everyday use.

My advice is learn how to drive in it, get your license and then upgrade when you have enough experience.

Ya I guess thats the best route as there ecomical and i wouldnt be driving like one of those boy racers. thanks lads you were very helpful! :)

• Advertisement

There are other cars too.

What other economical cars you you reccommend for a first car?

Seicento sporting.
    Suzuki swift

Ya they look like good learner cars thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Great little car. I had that as my first car a '02 one.

Watch for tie rods as they go pretty quickly and also the injectors coils can be prone to fail too.

Enjoy being on the road. Drive safe :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe915f618520c85e7038e47f2035249d07d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I had a 1l Ibiza at one stage, think it was 97 model. Great little car, super reliable, no problems whatsoever. Didn't have power steering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,685 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Swift is a good little car. Had one a few days a few years ago.. Jap import and was surprised at how well equipped it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There was a 1L Polo being driven on the N7 this evening in a rather spirited manner so if you want them to go fast its possible.

Always liked them tbh and felt they were greater than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I had one as my first car, 98 1 litre, fantastic car. Super economical, they like to snap pedal boxes but its not very common. No power steering but was very light anyway, I loved that car. Insurance wise I went out on my own policy at 17, I paid 2500 for my first year, that was 2007. But the benefits where great having my own policy, by 19 I had a twin turbo subaru, I have owned GTI's an s3, a 3.0 beemer and now a 1.8t a3 and my insurance is 750ish and has been sub 1k since I turned 20, all my friends that went under mammy and daddy are still paying massive premiums, So I guess my advice is get an ibiza amd go out on your own the benefits will wuickly show.

Ya I Guess that would be cheaper in the long run.Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The boarder

I bought a 02 ibiza for my first car last year, its not to slow its a 1.2 model. It is a perfect starter car as it is the same engine that is in the polo of similar age. I would advice as colm_mcm said if you up your budget the cars are usually in better nic. I would recommend them.

Advertisement