Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Leaving Cert students who get scribes tend to score less?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

My friend fractured his wrist and might have to get a scribe for his LC, but he's now worried he's going to score low points. Since he won't be able to write his own answers himself and will feel under pressure to quickly tell his answers to the scribe. And also how do scribes work for subjects like Maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I know for the Junior Cert my friend broke his arm and he had to get a scribe. In the end he ended up getting the highest in the school (beat me by an A the c**t! :pac: ) He said having a scribe was grand and in the end it seemed like it made little or no difference to him.

So I reckon your friend will be grand. To be honest I'd say for Maths they'll be just fine as well, he/she should be able to use a calculator with their non-writing hand anyway and I'd imagine there is a little leeway marks-wise given towards those who've had to get a scribe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't know if they score less in exams but I do know that he will get something like 20 mins additional time for English, Irish and History.

And like 10 minutes additional time per hour for every other subject. Up for a maximum of 30 minutes additional time.

I think they work the same way in Maths as any other subject. Scribes are required to be capable of writing maths symbols etc.

Your friend can also be granted the use of a tape recorder where he can record his answers. I'm not too sure how that works. Your principal should know all about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think they have done any stats on scribes specifically, but those who avail of Reasonable Accommodations (in general) tend to do better than their class cohort - probably because there are far more children who need 'reasonable accommodation' than get it.

For example, a Foundation Level JC child who, if left to read the paper alone might easily give up at the first difficult question and leave the exam centre, is more likely to stay and attempt the right number of questions if an adult is acting as a reader for them. In that case, they may well do better than their classmate without a reader who is in the main exam hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

kingcobra wrote: »
    I know for the Junior Cert my friend broke his arm and he had to get a scribe. In the end he ended up getting the highest in the school (beat me by an A the c**t! :pac: ) He said having a scribe was grand and in the end it seemed like it made little or no difference to him.

So I reckon your friend will be grand. To be honest I'd say for Maths they'll be just fine as well, he/she should be able to use a calculator with their non-writing hand anyway and I'd imagine there is a little leeway marks-wise given towards those who've had to get a scribe.

Thinly veiled " I got 10 A's comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Thinly veiled " I got 10 A's comment.

Far from it actually, I never said I went to a good school! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

kingcobra wrote: »

No, there isn't any leeway marks wise, you can't grade someone differently because they had someone write down the answers for them. They will get graded the same. The scribe has to be capable of writing down the answers (use mathematical symbols or where relevant write in a foreign language).

They will be given extra time as was outlined in another post as they are dictating their exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Might Work In Their favour - I imagine scribes will be professionals with professional standard speed and perfect
    Handwriting. Unlike most students!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

So then how does marks for grammar work in Irish, English, German, ect? Can they dock you for someone elses mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Might Work In Their favour - I imagine scribes will be professionals with professional standard speed and perfect
    Handwriting. Unlike most students!!!
    most of them are teachers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

A7XGirl wrote: »
    My friend fractured his wrist and might have to get a scribe for his LC, but he's now worried he's going to score low points. Since he won't be able to write his own answers himself and will feel under pressure to quickly tell his answers to the scribe. And also how do scribes work for subjects like Maths?

Do they get not a few extra minutes in the exam since it takes more time to communicate to the other person and tell them what exactly to write down?

• Advertisement
Advertisement