Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to study Portuguese for the LC as a non native?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

the SEC website says available to people only with mother tongues in the language but I have heard cases of people studying non curriculum languages before, namely that guy who did like 26 exams last(?) year. So yes just wondering is this an option or are they strict on studying non curriculum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

yeah I mean im sure they don't check but the papers are high standard (I could be wrong about checking) but I know people doing non curricular languages, you just have to be v good at them

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Yeah you can do it as a non native, I'm doing Swedish this year and i'm not a native just have to put it down on your examinations form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ClongowesBoy

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Yeah you can do it as a non native, I'm doing Swedish this year and i'm not a native just have to put it down on your examinations form :)

hmm well I hope you're right but http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/leaving_cert_subjects.php?course_id=45&ed_sub_cat_id=7&menu_parent_id=2&course_name=Other+Language&search1=language&search2=

it says here
    Students must:

Speak the the language natively
    Be taking Leaving Certificate English
    Be taking only one non-curricular EU language
    Be from a member state of the European Union
    Have followed a programme of study leading to the Leaving Certificate

Is this more of a non enforced rule or..? Suppose it would be pretty difficult to check if it is your native language.

Edit: Actually I'm just thinking now, I wonder does that mean that the language must be taken at a native level? ie. at a high level?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Edit: Actually I'm just thinking now, I wonder does that mean that the language must be taken at a native level? ie. at a high level?

Yes, they expect a much higher level of proficiency than, say, LC German or French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You can check the content of past papers yourself on examinations.ie The papers are designed for native speakers, so yeah the standard is higher than say honours French etc.

It's native content, not an awful lot of work goes into the papers as most of them are taken by very few people. They tend to consist of broadsheet newspaper articles and extracts and stuff like that, and you have to write lengthier answers than for the standard language papers, but it can really differ for each language I think. There's no oral and the papers tend to be pretty short, as in only 2 or 3 pages.

And yeah the papers are only offered at higher level.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Yes, they expect a much higher level of proficiency than, say, LC German or French.

I'm looking at the exam papers and they don't seem much harder? Bearing in mind I can speak Spanish, French and Italian at a relatively high standard so the amount of similarities is pretty large. I'm not worried at all about the standard, that won't be a problem, I only want to know if I am allowed to sit the exam.
    You can check the content of past papers yourself on examinations.ie The papers are designed for native speakers, so yeah the standard is probably higher than say honours French etc.

It's native content, not an awful lot of work goes into the papers as most of them are taken by very few people. They tend to consist of broadsheet newspaper articles and extracts and stuff like that, and you have to write lengthier answers than for the standard language papers, but it can really differ for each language I think. There's no oral and the papers tend to be pretty short, as in only 2 or 3 pages.

And yeah the papers are only offered at higher level.

So just to clarify I(non native speaker) can sit the LC portuguese examination paper without any problems with the SEC?

Sorry to double post here but going from the 2012 paper, there is only one comprehension(with very easy questions) and then one 100 word essay and then a 300 word essay. Surely that can't be right? They give you 3 hours for that?

Advertisement