Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: parents SW payments

Options
  • 26-05-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Any advice.

Was chatting to my Mam about finances and I was horrified to discover how much herself & my dad are getting per week.

She works part time - she'd love to work full time but if anything, her hours have gotten even cut further the last year or 2. She gets €213 per week.

My Dad runs a small farm and receives farm assist. Each week he gets €80. He was getting €120 but they cut €40 off that. My Mam said he used to get €180 but not anymore.

My brother is in college and can't get any part time job. He is just finished and will now be looking for a full time job.

I'm seriously feeling like I should be helping to contribute to their bills also. I don't know what I would do if I was like my Dad and only getting €80 per week to spend.

Any advice? Anything I can do?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ask to have their means test redone if there has been a change of circumstances.

Oh you might just have a quick glance at the forum charter too.

Sell the farm if it's not making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Sell the farm if it's not making money.

I'm sure you'll understand that it's not feasible - he lives ON the farm.
    He has no qualifications/education so it's all he HAS really.

mp22 sorry just read the charter. If you prefer to change my thread title please do, I don't know how to. Thanks.

Advertisement