Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus Tree - 30/40ft high - problem ??

Options
  • 26-05-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a Eucalyptus tree approx 30-40ft high.
    I was just wondering how much of it I can cut off the top without killing it completely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

the general guideline/restirction would be about a third.
    issues to consider would be resulting tree shape, will it then be a public hazard, reason you want the crown reduction in the first place, should tree be removed and a replanting carried out with a more appropiate tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The roots are quite shallow and destructive
    Any walls or paths will be lifting now I would think.
    Basically the roots go out as far as the tree grows tall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The roots are quite shallow and destructive
    Any walls or paths will be lifting now I would think.
    Basically the roots go out as far as the tree grows tall!

Some massive ones down in Mount Usher Gardens in Ashford,County Wicklow.Lovely looking tree indeed.:)

paddy, i'll give you big :D

5 year old genetically modified eucalypts: (it's more a spot the person competition really ;))

229223.jpg

more details here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81821162

Oldtree wrote: »
    paddy, i'll give you big :D

5 year old genetically modified eucalypts: (it's more a spot the person competition really ;))

229223.jpg

more details here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81821162

Nice,but thats over across the pond.The trees in Mount Usher are around the same height,but grew much slower to their height.

But still,thats some height in a mere 5 years though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wasn't a species of eucalyptus the tallest tree in the world until they were all cut down?

wasn't a species of eucalyptus the tallest tree in the world until they were all cut down?

I saw on RTE News that someone just imported in several giant redwood saplings from the USA,to grow them here.Its part of a trial and conservation project:)

They are under threat over in the USA now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i managed to grow a coastal redwood from seed. got the seeds from chiltern seeds in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

My granny grew a redwood in her back garden (not sure if it was from seed or sapling, it was a present from her children who lived in California), but had to cut it down after a few years as it go too big very quickly, and her garden is not that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

There's a redwood planted in the middle of a crossroads in Coolcelure, West Cork. It was planted by an American couple who were living in the lodge house. They planted it to replace an old hollow oak tree, locally known as the hanging tree. It's about 8 years old now an It'll be interesting to see it get really big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

Any hope of posting a photo of any Irish grown giant redwoods please? - I am mad to plant one but am already quite old and I'm selfish - wondering what I'll see in my lifetime!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

It's very difficult to kill a Eucalyptus tree. My neighbour had two forty foot ones in her small suburban back garden, one died in the bad frosts a few years ago and she cut it down, it's now regrowing from the base. The other one is a giant tapping on her windows and roof!

Don't Eucalyptus groves regrow in Australia after forest fires?

I think uncared for Eucalyptus should be up there on the bold step with Leylandii in suburban settings. They look best when trimmed annually to keep as a shrub under ten feet

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Wyldwood wrote: »
    It's very difficult to kill a Eucalyptus tree. My neighbour had two forty foot ones in her small suburban back garden, one died in the bad frosts a few years ago and she cut it down, it's now regrowing from the base. The other one is a giant tapping on her windows and roof!

Don't Eucalyptus groves regrow in Australia after forest fires?

I think uncared for Eucalyptus should be up there on the bold step with Leylandii in suburban settings. They look best when trimmed annually to keep as a shrub under ten feet

Hi
    I started this tread over 12 months ago. I had to cut the Eucalyptus down to about 3 feet high and I thought that it would simply rot away over time. However after several months I noticed the tree sprouting from the sides so I simply left it alone. It has now sprouted so much that it has completely covered the base and its new thin branches are about 3 feet long and it has lovely silvery leaves. I've simply trimmed it now and I'm going to keep it trimmed as a shrub which will be manageable.
    Thanks for all your input.

Does it have the juvenile leaves on the sprouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Yes - I think you could describe them as Juvenile leaves. - Why do you ask ??

Its an interesting feature of eucalyptus that they have different juvenile leaves to their adult leaves, and I wondered if they would be on the sprouts too.

Advertisement