Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing old rocking chair

Options
  • 26-05-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

A friend dropped me up an old rocking chair today,lovely piece,asked could i do a bit of repair work on it. He spent some time sanding and scraping it and during the process found a few of the joints were loose. Its a small bit creaky when rocking, but a structurally sound chair.Need to fit some dowels in parts.
    I was wondering, could i inject wood glue into the joints where there was some shrinkage(1-2mm), would that firm up those joints?
    Thanks
    GL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) There is a product called 'Veritas chair doctor glue ' which you inject into the joint and it apparently fixes the problem. I've never used it but it strikes me as a lazy solution to the problem. You will probably find the joints knock apart easily with a soft hammer and the correct procedure is to glue in new wood into the old mortices and recut/rebore for the tenons, clamping them all together with glue.
    Put the chair on a level surface to check for racking as you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Thanks recipio
    Not familiar with that glue, yeah the disassemble,re glue and clamp would be the better long term option. And checking for racking.
    Thanks for the advice
    GL

Thanks recipio
    Not familiar with that glue, yeah the disassemble,re glue and clamp would be the better long term option. And checking for racking.
    Thanks for the advice
    GL

;) Have a read about it on www.axminster.co.uk ( don't know how to post specific links ) Veritas are a well respected Canadian company and would not market rubbish but it looks like a solution only if you have absolutely no experience or tools.

Everyday is a school day recipio.
    Been on the tools a long time(seems sooo long):-) thanks for that,
    Quick ques, have to do a cedarwood clad porch(timberframe), existing house same spec with no breather membrane,40 yrs old,
    friend wants to match the same as existing,it is in perfect condition alright, id like to fit one, no harm in doing so?

Everyday is a school day recipio.
    Been on the tools a long time(seems sooo long):-) thanks for that,
    Quick ques, have to do a cedarwood clad porch(timberframe), existing house same spec with no breather membrane,40 yrs old,
    friend wants to match the same as existing,it is in perfect condition alright, id like to fit one, no harm in doing so?

Eh.......are you asking if there is a way to match new cedarwood to old so the new porch doesn't look brand new ?
    I don't know of any way to replicate years of weathering but of course the new cedarwood will turn a grey colour in a year or two no matter what finish you put on it.

• Advertisement

sorry recipio
    Detail is damp proof membrane, i want to fit it, they are insisting not to.
    They will be painting the existing cedar and the new porch will be left natural.tks

sorry recipio
    Detail is damp proof membrane, i want to fit it, they are insisting not to.
    They will be painting the existing cedar and the new porch will be left natural.tks

;) Ah........ well I'm an amateur cabinetmaker not a builder but you are totally correct. If you don't fit it, warm air in the porch will cause condensation on the insulation and fungal growth which will degrade the structure in time as well as allowing drafts to penetrate. That's what I read anyway but you might get a better answer in the DIY section.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

A good quality breathable felt on the face with a dpc under then frame and then sheet. if they dont want it, get them to get someone else or sign something to say that you advised them and they declined it against your wishes. I will not do any work for anyone if i dont agree with the build method. i have been caught a few times and your better keep your name than the few quid you might make on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

1chippy wrote: »
    A good quality breathable felt on the face with a dpc under then frame and then sheet. if they dont want it, get them to get someone else or sign something to say that you advised them and they declined it against your wishes. I will not do any work for anyone if i dont agree with the build method. i have been caught a few times and your better keep your name than the few quid you might make on it.

posibly in wrong forum mr chippy,bit sounds like good advise for fibre glass roofing:D

Advertisement