Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays while on social welfare

Options
  • 25-05-2013 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Question for a mate(who doesnt have an account and is using mine) who just had their job seekers allowance approved last Thursday.

I am due to collect every Monday starting next Monday.
    I am due to sign on for the first time on the 6th of June

I am away on hols from Monday 3rd until Sunday 9th.
    I believe 10 days notice must be given prior to going on hols, but i was approved exactly 10 days prior to the day i am to go away.
    So i filled out the online form here https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/HolidayApplication.aspx

It seemed to go through ok.

So what happens next? I cant collect on Monday the 3rd of June or sign on Thurs the 6th of June. Will Welfare send me an email or letter with my new dates/times for signing on/collecting? Will i be ok??

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You might want to tell your mate to check in person and make sure the form was received. Other than that, AFAIK, you just miss it.The money over the ten days will be there when you can collect it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have not used the holiday form on line. I know that in the past that I was told to call into the social welfare office when I came back from holidays.
    Once I did his the money I was due would be in the post office 3 business days later (business days Monday to Friday).
    I would ring them on Monday, confirm they got the form and ask them how do you get the money when you come back from holidays.
    I know that social welfare are currently making changes in regards to signing on so that is why I would advise you to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You should receive confirmation of your new signing date and be able to collect a double week the week you come back. The 10 days notice is to allow for processing time and to be able to stop the payment run in time so it won't issue the payment for the 3rd.
    Payments only last 3 days in the PO, so if you were to not collect it, it would expire and you could have it re issued but this would take about 3 weeks. Also once you miss signing the claim would be suspended and no further payments would issue until you sign.
    For peace of mind I would suggest you call the office.
    Enjoy your holiday :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

He has tried calling them but cannot get an answer at his hatch... ill get him to call again on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cirrus55

Would echo what previous posters stated. Get confirmation from his local office. I used the online form before and they claimed they never received it. Caused a lot of problems. Better to be sure than to be sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

When I was on JSA last year I informed the social welfare people that I was going on holidays for a week. I gave over a month's notice. The man I was speaking to was rather rude in his attitude towards me. He got me to fill out a form and told me that I had to bring in my boarding passes on the Monday morning I came back (flight home was on Sunday evening).

I brought in the boarding passes on the Monday and I got seen by a lovely lady who was baffled as to why I was handing in two boarding passes - she handed them back to me and said I shouldn't have been asked to do this; she asked me where I did I go on holidays and did I enjoy it!! So what was the first worker playing at asking me to bring in my boarding passes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Boofle wrote: »
    When I was on JSA last year I informed the social welfare people that I was going on holidays for a week. I gave over a month's notice. The man I was speaking to was rather rude in his attitude towards me. He got me to fill out a form and told me that I had to bring in my boarding passes on the Monday morning I came back (flight home was on Sunday evening).

I brought in the boarding passes on the Monday and I got seen by a lovely lady who was baffled as to why I was handing in two boarding passes - she handed them back to me and said I shouldn't have been asked to do this; she asked me where I did I go on holidays and did I enjoy it!! So what was the first worker playing at asking me to bring in my boarding passes?!

ETA: Just realised that was a year ago... bit late now to make a complaint :D

Wow, that is very odd. I would be making an official complaint about the guy in your shoes. You are entitled to a holiday. Sounds like extreme bitterness on behalf of the SW guy. Stuff him. Make an official complaint and say you want to know why you were expected to rock up with your boarding passes. Sounds like the guy just wanted to make sure you were really going away. He needs to get a life :)

Boofle wrote: »
    So what was the first worker playing at asking me to bring in my boarding passes?!

Some of the people working there seem to just like making work for themselves by making life miserable for those unfortunate enough not to have a job. My grandfather passed away last Wednesday week after being int he hospital for nearly three weeks. I got a call on the Saturday before that he was seriously ill and headed down to spend the days with him and my family. Spent till Wednesday in the hospital with him as we wanted to be there for him when he died. He died around 10 am on the Wednesday and I rang the social welfare office to say that I would most likely not be collecting that weeks payment due to the funeral. The guy I spoke to told me that if I did not collect it my payment would be stopped and as I had spend the week in the hospital and then a funeral I could not actively be seeking work and as such my payment would be deducted. He told me to be in first thing Monday morning with a death cert and proof that it was my grandfather who died and not someone unrelated to me. Think I may have called him a miserable cunt before hanging up as his attitude was disgusting and extremely dismissive.

Headed back up for Monday morning and stopped off in the post off to get that weeks payment only to find that both were there waiting for me. I asked the woman there would I still have to head into the social welfare office and explained what I had been told to do. She looked disgusted and said that "it happens all the time. Some prick working there who hasn't enough work to be doing and delights in making life miserable for everyone else."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement