Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of Wood/Varnish/Wood filler

Options
  • 25-05-2013 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello,
    I was wondering can anyone identify this type of wood used in my project ?. I forgot my self and I want to buy a varnish and wood filler for it.
    Any suggestions, what varnish is the best and bring out the best results, as well as wood filler for joints.
    I know they are not the best images but what can I do with a crappy phone ;)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Dad says "It could be ply wood or it could be hard board" but he is not 100% sure

Edit: You're better off taking your wan's advice down there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rickmoister

To me it looks like Red Deal also wrongly called Pine.The back is plywood. I would use a medium to dark coloured filler as this wood wiil darken with age. The temptation is to use a pine filler but after the wood darkens this wiil look like sh***.The easiest varnish to use is an acryllic varsish as it is quick drying and odour free. it will need to be lightly sanded with 320grit finishing paper before each coat of varnish it will need 5 to 6 coats of acryllic varnish easily done in a day and a half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Dodo Bird

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Dad says "It could be ply wood or it could be hard board" but he is not 100% sure

Edit: You're better off taking your wan's advice down there :)
    Thank you very much for taking your time, I appreciate it :rolleyes:
    P.S. Say thanks to your dad as well ;)

To me it looks like Red Deal also wrongly called Pine.The back is plywood. I would use a medium to dark coloured filler as this wood wiil darken with age. The temptation is to use a pine filler but after the wood darkens this wiil look like sh***.The easiest varnish to use is an acryllic varsish as it is quick drying and odour free. it will need to be lightly sanded with 320grit finishing paper before each coat of varnish it will need 5 to 6 coats of acryllic varnish easily done in a day and a half.

Thank you so much :D:D:D
    I will post some link to which varnish and wood filler I have seen

• Advertisement

And any type of filler would you suggest, could you give me any links or something
    Thanks

http://hobby.uk.com/finishing-products/wood-care/acrylic-varnish-gloss-250ml.html
    I found another one, maybe this is what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Definitely bog standard pine aka spruce.
    I agree about using a dark filler but 'acrylic' varnish is simply water based varnish sold by Ronseal and others. I've used it and don't like it as it leaves a plastic looking finish.Watch out for 'quick drying' on the can as its likely to be water based. I'd use a standard polyurethane to finish. The trick, if you want a really first class finish is to invest in a good brush from a paint shop for about 12 euro but you will write off the brush and it may not be worth it for such a small project.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rickmoister

If you use a matt finish varnish it won't look like plastic it just enhances the beauty of the wood . The one you have in the link or you should be able to get it in your local hardware store.

Advertisement