Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way (direction) to plant fruit and berries?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭

I have several of the folowing: Raspberry, Tayberry, Loganberry, Blueberry, Red and Blackcurrant and Gooseberry.

I remember hearing a couple of years ago that it's best to grow apple orchards in North/South rows as well as some other fruits. Loganberries are one of those fruits that I recall should be planted in this direction. Or does it matter at all and can I just plant the others in any direction I choose or are there advantages to going in one particular way?

I have a big garden and it doesn't matter to me if they are planted N/S or E/W or whatever, just looking for advice.

Garden is south side of the house, well drained and in sun all day. I understand that it's best to grow the Blueberries in an acidic soil and I'm doing these in a seperate area.

I'm very grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Red Kev wrote: »
    I have several of the folowing: Raspberry, Tayberry, Loganberry, Blueberry, Red and Blackcurrant and Gooseberry.

I remember hearing a couple of years ago that it's best to grow apple orchards in North/South rows as well as some other fruits. Loganberries are one of those fruits that I recall should be planted in this direction. Or does it matter at all and can I just plant the others in any direction I choose or are there advantages to going in one particular way?

I have a big garden and it doesn't matter to me if they are planted N/S or E/W or whatever, just looking for advice.

Garden is south side of the house, well drained and in sun all day. I understand that it's best to grow the Blueberries in an acidic soil and I'm doing these in a seperate area.

I'm very grateful for any advice.

I dont think it matters as long as its a sunny site.

They are best trained on wire and should be netted against birds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3345316/Berries-for-a-bumper-crop.html

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=93

Advertisement