Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Acer Aspire V5-171 - are they any good?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has advice on laptops brands. I want to buy a small laptop so the acer aspire V5-171 seems to be a good price. I have found it priced at €399, down from €799. The spec seems good too Intel® Core™ i3-3217U processor, Windows 8,Memory: 6 GB, Hard drive: 500 GB.
    I have never had an acer before, can anyway advise as to whether they are pretty reliable or best to steer clear? I have heard the bigger acers are better and was told that this size can be troublesome but that was just from one person.
    Anywho long story short, any advice is mucho appreciated.
    thank youuu:o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,926 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Acer V5 in a nutshell,

Touch screen: yay

Low Resolution screen: Boooo

That is to say of the 15.6" model, which has the same resolution as the 11" model (EWWW). Acer in general tries to put out fanciful looking products while cutting a couple corners to compete on pizazz and on price. The end result are products that have a couple cool quirks but usually get coupled with drawbacks to boot. Their latest abomination is the R7 touch laptop which is actually kinda cool as an All in One desktop replacement, but I struggle to class it as a laptop. Had an Acer Iconia A200: true to the brand, the software/aftermarket support was basically pants, but it was one of the few tabs with a full size USB port that wasnt 2 inches thick. Drawback being its body was some plastic do-up with a vinyl backing, meaning the touch screen was doomed to failure because of warping and such. Theres a rather good reason the iPad uses such a pricey aluminium body, as do most ASUS tabs and the MSFT Surface (well Magnesium alloy lady da da)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shelzbell

hey thank you.
    hmmmm so im thinking i may pass on it. it seems i should spend a bit more for more long term value. possibly looking at sony vaio 13". i also read that the acer has very poor battery life and that is a real crunch factor.
    cheers for the info. very helpful as i do not have a notion about this stuff.

Sony makes some pretty quality looking laptops, I've just heard from my Techs that their warranty end of things is a nightmare to deal with. I don't know if it's just a vendor-partnership issue or what though. The new rising star seems to be Samsung, though I also like Lenovo and HP

hey cheers
    I went to have a look at the sony but actually its a bit heavy so now look at 11" for sure and I have found this one that I think looks good, and seems the best of what I have come across, good battery life, detachable keyboard, and nice and lightweight and it seems to be in line with what you're saying above as its HP. pity its windows 8 though - Ive heard thats a bit of a pain.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-ENVY-x2-11g000ea-116andquot-Touchscreen-Convertible-Laptop-Aluminium/316140/148

Hi there
    Do you have an opinion of this one by any chance. nicer price range for me... never heard of ASUS before but i see them around a bit now
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/ASUS-Vivobook-S200EC157H-116andrdquo-Touchscreen-Laptop-Dark-Grey/316019/148.12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Overheal,,just wondering if you know anything about the trackpad issues with lenovo laptops including the z580??
    Am on the brink of buying one thats seems exactly what I want except I have read mixed reviews about the trackpad being difficult to use,especially for games.

The HP X2 is terribly overpriced for its performance. An Atom processor... Solid State drive sure, but no. Check out the Lenovo Lynx and price it with the matching keyboard (but Lynx has an awful awful charging port - a micro USB port. its a wear and tear nightmare)

The processor on the ASUS is much beefier while still being sub par. Construction wise the body still feels solid and durable.

No news on lenovo trackpad issues - game with a mouse?

Advertisement