Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have anyone succeeded for claiming tuition fee tax relief?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a international student in IT Carlow.

I wanna know have anyone succeeded for claiming tuition fees tax relief?

The tuition fee for Non-EU students is a lot of money, and I get some information from revenue.ie about tax relief.

It says "Approved undergraduate courses for the purposes of tax relief on tuition fees must be of at least two years duration." but I don't understand that two-year-duration refers to the course is an over two-year course (my course is CSM, which is a 4 year course)or I have to attend at least 2 year classes?(because I only attend the fourth year with a cooperation program between the college in my country and ITC).

Anyone knows about it? thank u so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Do you pay tax in Ireland?

If you don't you can't get tax relief as far as I know.

It means your course has to be at least two years long - a four year course should be ok.

As said above you have to pay income tax in Ireland to get any benefit from it. (It reduces the taxes payable)
    If you are dependent on your parents and they pay tax in ireland they might be able to claim it.

You might be able to find more in student finances: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1101

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I will move this to Student Finances, it appears to be more relevant there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kinkin

It means your course has to be at least two years long - a four year course should be ok.

As said above you have to pay income tax in Ireland to get any benefit from it. (It reduces the taxes payable)
    If you are dependent on your parents and they pay tax in ireland they might be able to claim it.

You might be able to find more in student finances: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1101

Thanks for your help.
    I don't have any income in Ireland as an international student, but I paid the school tuition on my own.
    If the duration rules like you said so, I may give it a try to claim the tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

kinkin wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.
    I don't have any income in Ireland as an international student, but I paid the school tuition on my own.
    If the duration rules like you said so, I may give it a try to claim the tax relief.

I don't think you will be eligible for claiming any of your fees back under the tax relief scheme as you have not paid any tax in Ireland.

E.G. you worked full-time in Ireland before starting college and earned €25,000. You paid 20% tax on this - €5,000 (very rough figure taking into account allowences and prsi). You can now claim €5,000 back in tax relief but no more.

But since you have paid no tax in Ireland you can't claim relief on it. Maybe you could claim the tax relief in your own country where you earned the money to pay the tuition in the first place?

• Advertisement
Advertisement