Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Context Criteria?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Can someone tell me all the criteria for the Cultural Context. All I can think of is as follows:
    -Class Structures
    -Role of women and men
    -Language ( is that one of them)
    -Poverty
    -Violence

Comments

We have "Parent and Child Relationships" "Political context" "Attitudes towards sex and relationships" and "Social Rituals" also

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Thanks anything else anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

It depends entirely on what you're studying.
    We're doing some of those, as well as structure and excercise of power, and another class are doing power of relationships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

Religion

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Morality/ corruption perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Setting -is it historically significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

^ Setting and language would come more under Literary Genre

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

How do you actually structure a cultural context do you guys do a page for each text and describe development and how it affects each of the texts while comparing or what do you guys do i have a feel my structure is inadequate as we have never done how to structure our comparative answers at school. We basically just read the books and watched the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Having been told so by three teachers and various handouts I'd feel fairly certain that setting is fine for CC, it's one of my points anyway. :P I mean just look at it, where you're from/where you live is integral to your culture. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    How do you actually structure a cultural context do you guys do a page for each text and describe development and how it affects each of the texts while comparing or what do you guys do i have a feel my structure is inadequate as we have never done how to structure our comparative answers at school. We basically just read the books and watched the film.

I have a (long) paragraph for each aspect of cultural context eg I do setting, violence, gender roles and sometimes family, sometimes social class, or even another one that I can't remember (says a lot about how prepared I am), it depends on the question. I'd have about four/five aspects, four is loads for me, three seems a bit too little but I've heard of people do well with three as well. In the paragraph I generally start off with one text, mention how it's related to the aspect, then compare that with another text, then compare one/both of them with the third text. Sometimes I'd make more comparisons, depending on the aspect, or sometimes I'd leave it at that, it depends. I think this is the structure most people tend to use, hope it helps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

My headings are usually setting, social classes, role of men, role of women, religion/morality. Then depending on which suit the question best I cut t down to 4 aspects usually.

Structure wise I'm generally the same as SlowShow. A paragraph comparing Casablanca and How Many Miles and then another one comparing Sive to one/both of them. Then move onto the next aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Tommyrawr wrote: »

The structure we've been versed to is to start with an opening paragraph obviously tailored to the question asked, but also describing what cultural context actually is and how it affects all three texts overall - the development of relationships, the fate of the characters, creates conflict, etc. And then you'd go on to a paragraph on one of your texts which sort of sets the scene, for example I'd use Babylon as my starting point and describe the period in history, how grand the Moore's residence is, and how Alicia has the power in the household - and then I'd jump to my next text, which would be Sive, and I guess my English teacher described it as playing "spot the difference". So I'd compare the time and the dwelling and the power in the household and whatever, and then I'd bring in my third text I'm Not Scared and start comparing how different it is etc, but the common aspects of culture and stuff. After doing this you'd be in the swing of comparing aspects of each texts and you could go into specific areas of cultural context in further paragraphs, such as the roles of men and women, attitudes towards relationships, class structure, whatever you have notes on or can think of really.

The answer should be roughly four A4 pages and each paragraph needs to have comparative links in them - dont launch into a summary of one, then the other, then the other, and assume that's comparing them. Needs to jump about the place a bit more, what works for me is thinking how I'd talk about football matches if someone asked me to give them a run down of the weekends matches or whatever, so basically whatever works for you!

Advertisement