Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature student entry exam

• 25-05-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have made application through the CAO to do a Bachelor of Science in Computing & Information Technology at ITB in Blanchardstown. I have my entry exam at ITB on Friday 31st May. Has anyone been through a similar process and would know what to expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chez1988

I have made application through the CAO to do a Bachelor of Science in Computing & Information Technology at ITB in Blanchardstown. I have my entry exam at ITB on Friday 31st May. Has anyone been through a similar process and would know what to expect?

hi ashley i did the entrance exam in march its basically an essay about why you want you go to college and abit about your past education, a comprehension part where it gives you a few paragraghs and you have to answer a few questions on them, then there was a grammer part were your given a short story with a few words and you have to fill in the blanks with the words, then you have the maths part its about 5 or 6 questions it was mostly on adding, subtracting, percentages and fractions. I dont know if they'll be the same test but it'll more or less be similar. Good Luck im hoping to get into the Bachelor of Science in Computing in IT aswell so fingers crossed for both of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ashleyholmes

That is excellent news. Thanks for getting back to me. I'm looking forward to the coarse. We're you at the open evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chez1988

That is excellent news. Thanks for getting back to me. I'm looking forward to the coarse. We're you at the open evening?

No couldn't make it over, was it just a talk and tour of the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Good luck to everyone (including myself :eek:) doing their assessment exam! Hopefully it'll all go well. I wonder if it's the same exam across all the courses.. That essay part has got to be about why you want to go/return to college etc. If it's 250 words on flower arranging, I'm screwed.. : ] Anyway, I'll be sure to post some feedback on what came up in case it's of any help to people in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

Hi Guys, I just finished my first year in ITB and did the mature student assessment last year. As far as I am aware the assessment is the same across all the courses. It is a short essay, for ours assessment last year and the one earlier this year it was on returning to college. There is a short comprehension piece and a maths assessment too. Most people panic when they hear maths but believe me when I say it's simple enough 6th class stuff, some basic calculations!!! Plan the essay ahead of the exam and keep an eye on time on the day.

The best of luck with the assessment and CAO offers..... Hope to see you all on campus in September!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Hey, I did the mature student entry exam yesterday. Think it went well but it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be. Luckily I managed to answer all the questions in time. Many thanks to the people on this forum who gave feedback, very helpful. What I would like to mention is.. If you don't have a high standard of English, or if English isn't your native language, practice it!! If you find a particular section on the exam difficult to answer leave it, do a different one, then come back to it. Don't waste your time!

Section A: Free Writing/Essay (40 marks)

Write approximately 250 words on why you want go to college/do your course, your educational background, and preparation work you've done. I lashed this down first. Had I not prepared it in advance I would've been in trouble, time-wise.

Section B: Written Comprehension (24 marks)

This was LONG and a real time sink. 8 'tricky' questions in a, b, c or d format. It was about the developing world and primary education. I left it till the end. Ugghh...

Section C: Grammar (24 marks)

Fill in the blanks.. Stick the right words into a piece of text to make the sentences make sense. Easy if your vocab is good. Around a dozen words to choose from, a few unnecessary ones thrown in there to increase the difficulty.

Section D: Mathematical Reasoning (12 marks)

If you're good at maths, no need to worry. Otherwise, brush up on percentages and fractions.

e.g. Joe sells 3/4 the amount of tickets as Tom. Joe sells 600 tickets. How many tickets does Tom sell?

5000 votes are cast in an election. One of the parties gets 600 votes. What percentage of the total votes did they get?

Arrange these fractions from lowest to highest

1/10 1/6 1/2 1/4 1/12

No calculator allowed :D

There's a rough work page for maths etc and an extra page for your essay if you need it.

Good luck!

Advertisement