Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a wooden fence.

Options
  • 25-05-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can advise me on this .

I have a post and rail wooden fence that I usually coat with creosote / creosote substitute ,now after 3 years since its last coat I want to paint it with ronseal one coat fence life tudor oak because the creosote doesn't look black enough according to my better half . My local hardware store questioned whether the ronseal would stick to the fence since it was previously coated with creosote. Anyone any experience of this scenario ?
    Also there is some green mold on the the fence since its so long since I painted it , do I have to remove this before painting and if so would a light bleach or chlorine solution remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

bbsrs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hopefully someone can advise me on this .

I have a post and rail wooden fence that I usually coat with creosote / creosote substitute ,now after 3 years since its last coat I want to paint it with ronseal one coat fence life tudor oak because the creosote doesn't look black enough according to my better half . My local hardware store questioned whether the ronseal would stick to the fence since it was previously coated with creosote. Anyone any experience of this scenario ?
    Also there is some green mold on the the fence since its so long since I painted it , do I have to remove this before painting and if so would a light bleach or chlorine solution remove it?
    i had the same scenario with my dads fence last year. i got at it with a wire brush and roughed up the surface to give the fence life a key. it worked for me but took alot of wire brushing. the fence life faded a bit so ill have to recoat later this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jimini0 wrote: »
    i had the same scenario with my dads fence last year. i got at it with a wire brush and roughed up the surface to give the fence life a key. it worked for me but took alot of wire brushing. the fence life faded a bit so ill have to recoat later this year

This is great stuff..and its made in Virginia,County Cavan.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

paddy147 wrote: »
    is that expensive? fencelife 10.99 for 5 litres here

Around 10-12 euro for 9 litres.

I bought it direct from Fleetwood Trade Paints last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Special offer in co op shops at the minute twelve litres for 17.99 where I'm looking.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy, how much is that stuff and how much does it cost?

The wire brushing I was hoping to avoid , I'll do a sample area with the chlorine water solution this weekend and see how it goes. I'll let ye know the results.

bbsrs wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy, how much is that stuff and how much does it cost?

Around 10-12 euro for 9 litres,depending on where you buy it.:)

Around 10-12 euro for 9 litres,depending on where you buy it.:)

Ti'll have a look around for it.

Advertisement