Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Appreciation - Public Sculpture

Options
  • 25-05-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been getting on grand with the whole art history course in general but I'm really finding difficulty with the public sculpture. I just really haven't a clue what to write about when it comes to a question asking you to design a public sculpture and write about it. Would love some advice on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look at the various public sculptures at the airport, along the motorways etc. and see what you think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Would you not consider one of the other options instead? I would find the public sculpture one of the hardest to get a few pages out of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Jade. wrote: »
    Would you not consider one of the other options instead? I would find the public sculpture one of the hardest to get a few pages out of :)

What other options have you covered for General Appreciation? I only have public sculpture really, we didn't do our gallery visit very well..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

bleach94 wrote: »
    What other options have you covered for General Appreciation? I only have public sculpture really, we didn't do our gallery visit very well..

Do a mass produced carving of Mary at a grotto. It is basically public sculpture, has a lot of researchable info and importance in this country and you'll look clever for twisting the format.

Edit: not carving.. Plaster moulds?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Still time to do a gallery visit properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

You can still prepare a gallery visit. Know the name of your gallery, about the layout etc. was it purpose built? Prepare the exhibitions etc and you should be able to adapt it to any gallery question you are given.

Less stress more success also has sample gallery essays in it it you have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

If worst comes to worst, make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 luciel

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm going to try and take more notice of sculptures I see around the place and decide what I think of them. I have a good gallery and film essay prepared so I'll write about one of those if I can.

Advertisement