Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop died while charging

Options
  • 24-05-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Heya, don't normally post in this section so sorry if this has been covered before.

I have a Toshiba Satelitte laptop that i use for DJing with. 5 hour gig, laptop plugged in constantly. Last night about 2 hours in (mid song) power went completely. no warning, all the power lights on green to indicate fully charged, on screen icon indicating fully charged, then it just shut off. It wouldn't restart for a minute or so because there was no power. so i needed to allow it to charge up enough to start again. Has anyone come across this before and is it going to be an on going issue that may happen again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Could be a one (or more of a few issues).

The laptop should work without the battery having any charge when its plugged in so it could be a heat issue.

Download a and run Speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download) while you are using the PC to see what temp its operating at.

Also run task manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time) and see if the cpu is working flat out.

Failing that I would look at the power supply, battery and dc input jack and try to rule them out.

I know that doesn't narrow it down but without looking at it you need to start ruling things out one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Might be overheating. If you've ever used it on your lap or without proper ventilation it could have sucked up dust into the cooling grille. It might be no harm to get someone to rip it apart and clean the fan and put some new thermal paste down. Anyone worth their weight shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes to do a Toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

cheers for your replies. just chilling with laptop here now, and it's very warm despite running for only 20 mins. so i'd say it's to do with that. CPU usage for dj software is at 650,000k

same problem happened this week and took a bit longer to get it going. Will drop it in to be looked at this week

Advertisement