Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragworm at malahide estuary.?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all, I've been digging lugworm at corbalis cottages but just wondered where the ragworm beds are in the malahide estuary? If someone could point me in right direction it would be greatly appreciated, or send me PM thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

best of luck trying to get that info on a public forum.... want reliable marks too??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Donalh

breghall wrote: »
    best of luck trying to get that info on a public forum.... want reliable marks too??

In fairness, bait digging marks are hardly as closely guarded as fishing marks. As I say I'm digging down there anyway so if someone sent me a pm I'm hardly going to single handedly deplete the entire ragworm population down there. Thanks anyway for your unhelpful post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Donalh wrote: »
    In fairness, bait digging marks are hardly as closely guarded as fishing marks. As I say I'm digging down there anyway so if someone sent me a pm I'm hardly going to single handedly deplete the entire ragworm population down there. Thanks anyway for your unhelpful post

He's right though, ragworm beds can be quite small, and if someone has put in the time to locate a good digging spot you would be pretty naive to expect they would give it away to a stranger on the internet. For all they know you could be a commercial digger and next time they go digging they find you and 5 mates digging what looks like the trenches in WW1 and cleaning out all the rag in the area... For the same reason very few people give away good marks on the internet, and its considered a bit cheeky to ask. Put in your own time and effort to find good spots.

Zzippy wrote: »
    He's right though, ragworm beds can be quite small, and if someone has put in the time to locate a good digging spot you would be pretty naive to expect they would give it away to a stranger on the internet. For all they know you could be a commercial digger and next time they go digging they find you and 5 mates digging what looks like the trenches in WW1 and cleaning out all the rag in the area... For the same reason very few people give away good marks on the internet, and its considered a bit cheeky to ask. Put in your own time and effort to find good spots.

Ok, take your points. I guess im on the wrong forum. Ive been digging ragworm in another area for a few years now and as it happens I once shared that mark with a "stranger on the internet". In return he gave me the location of what I still describe as the most productive bass shoreline I have ever fished. We also struck up a good friendship. So you see sharing and trusting on the web can and often is a win/win. Best of luck and thanks for taking the time to post. Tight lines

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Donalh wrote: »
    Ok, take your points. I guess im on the wrong forum. Ive been digging ragworm in another area for a few years now and as it happens I once shared that mark with a "stranger on the internet". In return he gave me the location of what I still describe as the most productive bass shoreline I have ever fished. We also struck up a good friendship. So you see sharing and trusting on the web can and often is a win/win. Best of luck and thanks for taking the time to post. Tight lines

Fair enough, info shared privately can be very productively, just people are wary of strangers asking for valuable info on the internet. I suggest you post on www.sea-angling-ireland.org as the forums there will have a lot more sea anglers from that area than boards does, in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

drive to where you think the beds are and watch the people walk down to them.. simple... commercial digging is the problem which is going on everywhere and you cant blame people trying to make a few pound...

danbrosnan wrote: »
    drive to where you think the beds are and watch the people walk down to them.. simple... commercial digging is the problem which is going on everywhere and you cant blame people trying to make a few pound...

Thanks, you are right. I have gone down there a few times and not a sinner to be seen :-( I just need to persist a few more times

Advertisement