Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - Poetry

Options
  • 24-05-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering if you could give me any tips about how to study the perscribed poetry effectively? I'm repeating and last year the poetry seemed to just stick whereas this year I know nothing :( It's the section that I'm really worried about and I need to do well in English (A2/A1 if possible). If anyone here has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it!
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

Hi SuperSayian,

I do 4 or 5 poems from each poet; make sure to fully understand what they're about. Then I take a page, and for each poem, I write out key lines and a short analysis of the poem from the notes on which I can expand in the answer. As an addition to this, I learn off one corrected essay I have on that poet. All the questions are repetitive, it's always about themes and style.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I'll prepare and have a corrected essay on each of my five poets - usually a simple "personal response to the poetry of _______", because you will cover everything. Then once they're learned, practice different types of questions - you'll find that you'll just need to change opening and closing paragraphs, and how you phrase the answer in general. Personal response is different to an analysis of their poetry in relation to a quote, or giving a talk (question re Shakespeare came up as a talk to your classmates once) or preparing a collection of their poetry, etc. But the points you make will be the same! So if you find learning a whole essay off tough, just write out the points you intend to make and know them inside out, and string them together for an answer which is almost a better approach, especially if you have a flare for language, and its much easier to tailor to a question.

Personally though, I like to know a "sample" essay off by each poet - just so I know how I intend to link points up because I get too muddled in exams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

Thanks very much for your replies! I think I'll try both of those ways and hopefully one will work! :)

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Just read the poems and know them really well (Pick out the most relevant lines). Sounds simple but it's the best way. I wouldn't recommend learning off sample answers but to each their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Try learn a sample answer. Its what was drilled into me last year and most people did very well. People who do bad learning a sample answer arent answering the question or the book they learnt it from was poor quality english( our teachers could tell a shop brought sample answer book)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

It's starting to stick! Thanks be to God, hopefully Shakespeare will come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

It's starting to stick! Thanks be to God, hopefully Shakespeare will come up :)

Know anywhere where I can get a sample essay on his poetry, by far my favourite poet, but I was swamped when we were studying him and just never got the time to write an essay, I wont copy it but it would be a good formula to work off. (I want to use certain sonnets and discuss by theme, not poem).

I can feel a sarcastic reply headed my way already.

Advertisement