Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do LCVP?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I was recently offered to do the Leaving Cert Vocational Programme by my school. Initially I was completely turned off by it but now I'm not completely sure.

I hope to be doing 7 "Traditional" Leaving Cert subjects in school next year and I intend on doing them all at Higher Level. LCVP offers 70 points which is a HL C1. My two languages (Irish and Spanish) are my two weakest subjects but I would at least hope that I'd be pushing for at least C1 standard in at least one of them. I'm also thinking of doing Applied Maths outside of school too so hopefully that should boost my points. I hope to achieve a high enough score (~525 minimum) so I can get into most of the "high ranking" courses in a good college.

Basically, I'm wondering whether LCVP is for me or not. It shouldn't affect my other subjects in school because I would be doing it while the non-LCVP students do non-exam subjects like SPHE, non-exam Religion and Computers. Those subjects (SPHE in particular) are a little mind numbingly boring but at least they're a break from the stresses of exams. I don't know which option would be the better one to do.

My other query is about how difficult it is to get a distinction. It is likely that only the distinction might be enough to be counted for points purposes. I would also like to know how much work the subject entails. With hopefully eight HL subjects on my plate, I don't want to do LCVP should it require a large workload outside of the class period. I currently do Business Studies and I will be doing Accounting for the LC if that will help me in the course content. I will also miss one week of school for work experience which I don't really want to do either. There is a 75% (3 in 4) chance that I'll get a teacher that I like.

For anybody who did it, was/is the subject of any benefit to you? Would you recommend it? Is it "easy", per se? Will I be swamped with work should I do it? I'll apparently get one double period a week.

Thanks for reading.:)

Comments

It is not a difficult subject at all. Although I don't know what mark I received, I'm fairly confident I will do well.
    If you are doing Business for the LC, you should definitely do LCVP as the course contents link closely.
    You should also consider the coursework. It is worth 60% of your overall grade with a 40% written exam. If other subjects that you are doing require coursework they may have the same due date and it could get stressful/messy for a subject you don't sound too fond of doing.
    If you have any more questions just PM me but I don't know what else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

I'm just finished 5th year and I'm doing LCVP. I do 7 other HL subjects, but I think it is beneficial even if I end up not using the points. We have 3 classes a week, one double and a single. We're done all the Portfolio work and notes, so 6th year will be revision basically. The vast majority of the work was done in class, we wrote up projects during classes, took notes and went on class trips. I have had barely any work to do at home, apart from catching up when I was missing and that. The theory is simple enough and concise, it's a tiny course in comparison to the others.

The course is split into 60% portfolio and 40% theory. The portfolio consists of a CV, investigation into a career you're interested in,summary report of a visit in or out to an entrepreneur or organisation and enterprise/action plan similar to the CSPE one of junior certificate.
    You also choose two of a recorded interview, project on your local area e.g tourism, history, voluntary organisations, education. The two other choices are a diary of work experience and an enterprise report.
    The written exam is basically made up of an audio visual, where you answer questions on a sequence, general questions compiled from your portfolio work and theory and a case study, an investigation into an entrepreneur or business of some sort.

If you put in a fair amount of work I'd say it's easy enough to get your distinction!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Thanks for the replies. I'm not doing any coursework minus Biology and Physics mandatory experiments (They aren't worth any marks in their respective exams but they must be completed.) as well as the two oral exams which may clash around that time. The only Business subject I'm doing is Accounting. I'm not doing Business, Economics or Agricultural Economics. Some of the theory aspects of the Business Studies JC course interest me, but others are a little boring to me, although not overly difficult either. I do like the Enterprise/Entrepreneur aspects.

It doesn't seem too much of a workload then provided you keep up in class and put the effort in during those classes/trips which is good. I don't want to miss any class time though. Would that be a huge issue e.g. would I be missing other classes to go on the class tips? I doubt we could get much done in just two class periods at a time. If the bulk of the portfolio and possibly the class trips can be done in LCVP class time, it may be worth doing, but I would rather focus on what I have. I don't want to negatively affect my other subjects and that's the primary concern. If it's manageable though, that's not a problem.

I'd be curious as to what you thought of the subject. Was it beneficial to you and if so, how? What were the problems if any? Would you say it has affected you positively or negatively? Did it help or hinder your other subjects, or not have an affect at all? Finally, is the CV preparation/work experience useful? Do you feel what you learned will be significantly beneficial in college and in the world of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

LCVP for me is really a back up! I don't do business and found the exam easy enough! Its mostly just common sense with things like marketing mix etc that could be examined on. The portfolio that you do, is normally done throughout 5th year and 6th year spend going over exam papers etc. I never had to do any work outside of class. However with work experience, the girls, including myself were able to use our work experience from 4th year just change the dates, but that depends on the teacher. Any girls that had to do work experience, done it during the week break like in October when we weren't in school. Overall it isn't really a subject that causes you much time away from your studies, and the actual exam takes place after the orals so you have plenty of time after to focus on your other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

If you do Business you will find it so easy. It's all grand if you have a clue at all. In saying that I haven't received my result yet of course :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I couldn't recommend doing LCVP enough! I didnt really want to do it when I left TY I only decided to do it cause my friend was doing it who then left LCVP 2 weeks into 5th year. I hated it throughout allof 5th year but no. 1 it is actually avert useful subject with real world applications, 2.) you never know what might happen, you could end up needing it 3.) it later turned out to be quite easy and enjoyable. 4.) I have learned to be more particular and careful in my work which has actually positively affected my English grades.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I think its a really great programme. The work experience put me in the right direction and if you do business most of it you know anyway. Most schools schedule it in with PE so its a nicer alternative all the same if your not sporty. As others mentioned 60% of the exam is portfolio and the written exam is 40% of the overall grade, which is done in may so at least you have it over with. If you didn't do ty I would strongly recommend doing it. Things like being able to properly do up a cv, getting help with career choices and how to send emails can be really beneficial. Its not in any way difficult or challenging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

If you are doing one or more OL subjects, you should give it a shot since you could possibly score up to 70 points in LCVP where as if you get a A in any OL subject you only get 60 points...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I found LCVP really easy and did two pass subjects so ended up counting it for points. I got a Distinction. I recommend doing it. You can cover it all in the two hour period every week for the year. I didn't do much work outside of class at all. I don't remember having to do a week of work experience for it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Thanks all for your replies. In the end, I decided against it considering people in other years in my school hated the subject. Apparently, there was a "Countdown to the end of LCVP." I was advised against it. Since I'll have 8 HL subjects, hopefully I won't need it for points. I'll miss out on are things like CV Preparation, Work Experience etc. You all seem to have good things to say about it. Maybe it's just my school.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement