Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choices

Options
  • 24-05-2013 7:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey, everyone, I need a little advice/help here choosing my subjects for LC :)
    These are the subjects I want to do:
    Biology-
    Chemistry-
    Geography-
    Business-
    Economics-
    Ag. Scince-Home
    Now I have to choose 3 from the list apart from Ag. Science which I would be definitely doing at home
    Which of the subjects can be studied at home and which can't, due to projects or too hard to understand yourself, I do not plan to get grinds so that is out of the question
    And one more thing what is the LC statistics in HL for German and Italian what of the 2 do people get better grades in ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Dodo Bird wrote: »
    Biology-
    Chemistry-
    Geography-
    Business-
    Economics-
    Ag. Scince-Home
    Now I have to choose 3 from the list apart from Ag. Science which I would be definitely doing at home
    Which of the subjects can be studied at home and which can't, due to projects or too hard to understand yourself, I do not plan to get grinds so that is out of the question
    And one more thing what is the LC statistics in HL for German and Italian what of the 2 do people get better grades in ??
    Thanks
    You should get a mod to move this to the Leaving Cert forum or re-post it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Dodo Bird

You should get a mod to move this to the Leaving Cert forum or re-post it there.
    Thanks I will try to do that

Thanks I will try to do that
    I might do Russian at home :pac: it has one of the highest A percentages for Higher ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Biology-
    Chemistry-
    Geography-
    Business-
    Economics-
    Ag. Scince-Home
    Thanks

I think you could definitely manage business or economics yourself at home , they both involve sitting down and learning the book, once you follow with the marking scheme online you really just need to learn the course yourself :) If you have any questions i do both of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Dodo Bird

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I think you could definitely manage business or economics yourself at home , they both involve sitting down and learning the book, once you follow with the marking scheme online you really just need to learn the course yourself :) If you have any questions i do both of them
    Would you say it is easier then biology to do at home
    So is this what I should do in school
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography(is that not easy to do at home?)

And then at home-
    Business
    Economics
    Ag. Science

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I might do Russian at home :pac: it has one of the highest A percentages for Higher ;).

That's because a lot of native speakers take it. Many of the Baltic State candidates have their own language and an acceptable enough level of Russian.

spurious wrote: »
    That's because a lot of native speakers take it. Many of the Baltic State candidates have their own language and an acceptable enough level of Russian.
    I know, but my mum is fluent in Russian, and she used to be a teacher .. I guess that'll help? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks

Stats here: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=st&sc=r12

I know, but my mum is fluent in Russian, and she used to be a teacher .. I guess that'll help? :p

Probably. They're very stiff on mistakes in the writing. You would be expected to write lower case Russian, not printed capitals, which I always found much easier to do. The lower case writing is maddening - too many gs instead of ds and ms instead of ts or whatever it was - ps instead of rs?
    My head hurts even thinking about it.

Probably. They're very stiff on mistakes in the writing. You would be expected to write lower case Russian, not printed capitals, which I always found much easier to do. The lower case writing is maddening - too many gs instead of ds and ms instead of ts or whatever it was - ps instead of rs?
    My head hurts even thinking about it.
    You studied Russian?

• Advertisement

You studied Russian?

Not at school. I did Polish for four years there a few years ago in evening classes in Trinity and then I made some Russian friends and did Russian for a year. I drive them mad saying Russian is just sloppy Polish.

Not at school. I did Polish for four years there a few years ago in evening classes in Trinity and then I made some Russian friends and did Russian for a year. I drive them mad saying Russian is just sloppy Polish.
    Ah! Very interesting :). Czesc! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

My subjects are all in a muddle the only subjects that I CAN do at the moment are:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    Geography
    German
    French (out of school)
    And that's it, bloody Business and History are on the same line (I want business for my course in college and history for points) and I refuse to do Chemistry, Biology or Home Ec which were my other options. So unless the school gets it sorted out I have to go to another school :/

Jijsaw wrote: »
    My subjects are all in a muddle the only subjects that I CAN do at the moment are:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    Geography
    German
    French (out of school)
    And that's it, bloody Business and History are on the same line (I want business for my course in college and history for points) and I refuse to do Chemistry, Biology or Home Ec which were my other options. So unless the school gets it sorted out I have to go to another school :/

Can you not do
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    Geography
    German
    French (out of school)and business , 7?

Would you say it is easier then biology to do at home
    So is this what I should do in school
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography(is that not easy to do at home?)

And then at home-
    Business
    Economics
    Ag. Science
    Yes! that is just what i would do. Do you really need 8 subjects? personally i think 7 is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Nope I have to do 7 subjects in school and I can't do French and German as they are both on the same line as well. My school's annoying :(

Advertisement