Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couldn't provide proof of looking for work question?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently had to fill out a form to provide proof of looking for work. I couldn't provide physical proof with any rejection letters, no employers ever got back to me regarding my CV applications so I just left this whole area blank in the hope that SW would get back to me.

My SW cheque failed to arrive yesterday, the day it normally arrives so i'm worried that I could I have been cut off already with no notification. This has been my only source of income for the last number of months.

Anybody any clues on what to do? Could I have been cut off so soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You should have written down the places you have given CVs into and added that noone had gotten back to you. It's not up to the SW to do the running for you!
    You should just call them on Monday and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yup! Sounds as though your payment's been suspended...

Hardly anyone sends rejection letters these days. You should've given application letters and e-mails as proof. Do you have any??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

Thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit fed up with it all tbh.

I haven't applied for anything in over 3 months really and I don't really keep anything. I just have my CV and send it out hoping for the best or applications online. There aren't a whole lot of jobs coming up in the area of construction these days.

Can I get this reinstated if I show an application for any new positions though these are fairly scarce on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Just give the names and contact numbers of the places you have applied to. If you sent emails, print them off and send everything in

EdCastle wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit fed up with it all tbh.

I haven't applied for anything in over 3 months really and I don't really keep anything. I just have my CV and send it out hoping for the best or applications online. There aren't a whole lot of jobs coming up in the area of construction these days.

Can I get this reinstated if I show an application for any new positions though these are fairly scarce on the ground.

Yes, it's soul destroying, but you HAVE to keep going. What's happened with Welfare shows that you HAVE to keep applying and you HAVE to keep records!!

It's also interesting to note you haven't applied for anything in 3 months Why?? What kinds of jobs are you applying for?

How are you passing your days?? I don't mean to be harsh, but not applying for jobs in 3 months is not on. Now you've fallen foul of Welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yes, it's soul destroying, but you HAVE to keep going. What's happened with Welfare shows that you HAVE to keep applying and you HAVE to keep records!!

It's also interesting to note you haven't applied for anything in 3 months Why?? What kinds of jobs are you applying for?

How are you passing your days?? I don't mean to be harsh, but not applying for jobs in 3 months is not on. Now you've fallen foul of Welfare.

I agree 100% though I think the OP knows this already

Yeah, i'm applying for office/construction based jobs but they aren't that many coming up.

I have over 10 years experience but the last few years have been a bit mixed career wise. I returned a few months ago after a long stretch abroad after working in a non related area which is a dead end long term.

I'm applying for what comes up but I just got worn down over the last few months with the whole process, decided to take stock and concentrate on upgrading my skills and qualifications off my own back to try and give me a better advantage when applying.

Seemingly this kind of forward thinking is lost on the SW. I'm certainly not someone to be sitting around on my ar*e all day!

I don't mean to be harsh, but not applying for jobs in 3 months is not on. Now you've fallen foul of Welfare.

I see where you are coming from and I totally agree with you.

Yeah, i'm applying for office/construction based jobs but they aren't that many coming up.

I have over 10 years experience but the last few years have been a bit mixed career wise. I returned a few months ago after a long stretch abroad after working in a non related area which is a dead end long term.

I'm applying for what comes up but I just got worn down over the last few months with the whole process, decided to take stock and concentrate on upgrading my skills and qualifications off my own back to try and give me a better advantage when applying.

Seemingly this kind of forward thinking is lost on the SW. I'm certainly not someone to be sitting around on my ar*e all day!

I hear you, OP!! I'm in the same boat. Unless you're prepared to go abroad again, then I think construction is a dead loss TBH.

And NO!! Forward thinking is not a forte with Welfare. It's just box-ticking if I'm honest. You have to play the game. Of course, keep applying for jobs. Luck's gotta change sometime - that's what I keep telling myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, you need to keep a file of all correspondence you've created since you started job hunting. Even if no employer/recruitment agency gets back to you as is often the case, record the date of each cv submission (keep copy of cover letter that went with it) or record each email sent (should still be in your Sent box in your email account). Some online applications send you back a reference or automated response. It's important to keep record of them too. You should have put evidence of those past efforts into the fields on the evidence letter you sent back to SW (even if the dates were vague, you should have at least had a record of the companies/agencies you sent CVs to.)

If you can do this now, call the SW back and ask can you belatedly sent this info on and to remember to keep track going forward.

Also, check if your area has a local employment action plan agency that offers a drop in centre, networking and job seeking/career/interview/CVs etc guidance. They also often have a heads up on jobs that have not yet been publicly advertised. Blanchardstown in Dublin has an excellent facility, Blanchardstown Area Partnership (BAP) that offers this and makes job seekers feel less demoralised and that they are not forgotten and that they have an outlet where job seekers can be helped and indeed help others with your shared experiences. I recommend you ask your SW office about this if they haven't already offered this facility to you.

I also recommend you sign up for further training/upskilling in FAS. It gives you something to do, gives you a routine and enhances your marketability as a job candidate. Idleness is your worst enemy while unemployed.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

is everyone claiming JSB or JSA periodically showing proof of looking for employment ???

If Welfare ask for it - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

seems to be a soft touch selection process. My father is in his 60s unemployed on and off for the last fee years seems to get invited to one of these meetings a few months after a claim.......i know guys 10-20 YEARS on the dole who dont seem to have to do this.... Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Unlucky OP. I got that letter aswell. I was just finishing a course too so I wasnt really looking for work for a few weeks as I was preparing for the final exams. I just wrote down jobs I had applied for over the last couple of months and I was fine. (maybe you should have sent a CV in to the social and ask them if they could employ you:D:D)

However some of the questions asked on that form were ridiculous, such as why do you think you havent gotten a job. What are you supposed to write down for that.

I put down because there is a bloody recession on, payments were not stopped

ongarboy wrote: »
    I also recommend you sign up for further training/upskilling in FAS. It gives you something to do, gives you a routine and enhances your marketability as a job candidate. Idleness is your worst enemy while unemployed.

Thank you for your contribution but my question was regarding my suspended SW and what I needed to do to enact this again. FAS can't offer me anything of higher value than the online course I am doing right now.
    Sin City wrote: »
    However some of the questions asked on that form were ridiculous, such as why do you think you havent gotten a job. What are you supposed to write down for that.

I put down because there is a bloody recession on, payments were not stopped

Yeah, I saw that one myself, I agree. Not meaning to be smart but I wrote something similar. That is the reality as I see it for my personal circumstances!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Yeah, I saw that one myself, I agree. Not meaning to be smart but I wrote something similar. That is the reality as I see it for my personal circumstances!

I know. Are they trying to see if someone says , maybe because I havent looked or I walk in to the interview doing my best not to get it?

Reminds me of Chief Wiggum

Advertisement