Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I drop down to Ordinary level maths?

Options
  • 24-05-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I started 5th year late (5 months) and due to this, I missed out on a lot. Also I wasn't really paying attention this year..
    I done Ordinary level for the JC and got an A. My Dad wants me to stay in higher for the 25 extra points, but I don't get anything at all! If I move down, I'm certain to do better in Maths.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Its hard to tell seeing as you have missed alot of time! I would normally suggest to drop now and have more time available to study your other subjects but in this case i think you should give it a chance , take the summer and try to catch up , if you can even scrape a d3 you will get the extra 25 points! If you are really struggling you can drop at the start of sixth year, just my advice!
    Although ,I do see that you did ordinary for junior cert and you may just find honours too difficult ,you don't want to risk failing either just to get the extra points when you might not get into your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

higher in the JC is a big step up to higher in the LC. Pass in the jc to higher is a huge step up.

I stuck out higher till xmas but decided to drop it and do pass as it was effecting my other subjects too much. Putting in a huge effort in maths of all things to just scrape a pass will have you under huge stress which may effect your other subjects.

Do you have to get an A B or C to get the extra points or does a D count too?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

garv123 wrote: »
    Do you have to get an A B or C to get the extra points or does a D count too?

nope, once you get a d3 you can get the 25 points

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I dropped to pass Maths just before the Junior and got a C, I never really applied myself - took pass in 4th and 5th, was in fifth year where I discovered I was good at Maths. Moved to honours just before christmas, despite what my teachers said. Got an A1 in my mocks, so that showed them!

My advice would be to see how it goes for a while - if you think you can hack it, the extra 25 points are SUCH a massive boost! More points for a D3 than an A1 at honours is worth it, imo. Honours is tough going but it's worth sticking until Christmas of sixth year or even the mocks to see how you do. But if it's taking time away from other subjects because you cant grasp it, drop down sooner because you can always make up for points by having more time for another subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Just a little side note. These 25 bonus points for doing HL maths are not automatically added on to your point score. If you get a d3 in HL maths you get 70 points which is the equivalent if a C1 in any other HL subject, so for example if you get 6HL B2s in your LC and a D2 in HL maths you don't have 25 extra points, you have 480 points. I used to think as long as you sat HL maths and passed it you automatically had 25 points added to your total, even if HL maths wasn't 1 of your top 6, which isn't the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement