Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if you fail maths do you have to repeat

Options
  • 24-05-2013 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

if i fail maths (ordinary) do I have to repeat the leaving cert? Its not an entry requirement or anything for my course in either dcu or ucd..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You don't HAVE to, but you won't get into DCU without it.

It might not be a requirement for your course in DCU but general entry requirements are a pass in Maths AND English or Irish.

UCD requires a pass in English and Irish, and Maths/Maths and Science/A third language depending on the course. These are NUI requirements so the same applies for NUIM, assuming you're in Dublin.

TCD's requirements are a pass in English and Maths + a second language or Latin + a subject that's not a language.

What course are you planning to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You don't have to pass maths but you can't get into most courses available through the CAO without it. A lot don't say it but nearly every course needs maths.

What colleges list is extra requirements. In nearly every college it's assumed you know you need maths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You can get into college without passing maths. It depends on the course though. OP, this thread might give you more of an insight. But if you post what courses you're thinking of, it'd be easier to tell you. If it's not a requirement on your UCD course then you don't need it - though a lot of colleges who don't list maths on a course need you to pass it to actually get into the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

i'm doing either arts or social science...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

chikatita wrote: »
    i'm doing either arts or social science...

Then without Maths, you can only get into UCD/UCC/NUIM and NUIG as far as I can see. Obviously I'm only looking at major universities.

But you will need to pass all Irish, English and a third language.

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Then without Maths, you can only get into UCD/UCC/NUIM and NUIG as far as I can see. Obviously I'm only looking at major universities.

But you will need to pass all Irish, English and a third language.

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

It also might be worth considering that, while you won't get into TCD without passing maths, they will accept Foundation level maths as meeting their general matriculation requirements. So, there are 49 course in TCD that you can get into if you pass Foundation Level, but you won't get into them if you fail ordinary level, (including Sociology, Sociology and Social Work, and most of the arts combinations).

You can check course qualification requirements like this using qualifax.ie.

P.S. FL maths will also be sufficient to get into the following courses in DCU:
    – BA in Applied Language and Translation Studies
    – BA in Languages for International Communication (English Studies)
    – BA in Contemporary Culture and Society
    – B.Sc. in Education and Training
    – BA in Journalism
    – BA in Economics, Politics and Law
    – BA in International Relations
    – BA in Communication Studies
    – BA Gaeilge agus Iriseoireacht (Irish and Journalism)
    – Bachelor of Civil Law (Law and Society)

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26

Advertisement