Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Master Socket

Options
  • 24-05-2013 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Does anyone know why you have to break the resistor straps on the Eircom NTU when you connect an alarm up to it?

With the alarm connected to the 4 terminals in the NCU, the broadband going into L1 and L2 and the ressistors connected everything worked ok. I then cut the 2 resistors as documented and the attenuation on my broadband connection went so high I went from a 24Mb connection to a 5Mb connection.

I soldered the resistor straps back in (they are 0 ohm which is abit strange) but now my telephone doesn't work(plugged into the NCU) but the broadband is back up to 24Mb (well 20Mb but that's as good as I get).

I can't get my head around what's gone wrong.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The reasoning behind it is that you need the line to go to the alarm first, so if the alarm is 'sounded' then it will be able to take the line itself and use it cutting off anything else that could be using it at that time.

Basically you need to send the line to the alarm first, then FROM the alarm setup everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

So when the resistors are cut that forces the the ciruit through the alarm.

So if the line gets heavily attenuated it's because the circuit from the socket to the alarm, the alarm itself and the circuit back is what's causing it.

I call out the alarm people and show them whats happening.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The resistors are only there so as they can test from the Exchange to see if the line is reaching the socket.
    The line will work fine without an Eircom socket.

You could test as follows: get a dunnes stores/ tesco rj11 socket.
    Wire the incoming line directly to the alarm.
    Wire then from the alarm to your socket.
    Use the bottom pair (red/green) on the socket for your equipment 'after' the alarm.

Test out and see with the alarm in circuit / out of circuit

It is important that the connections are clean and tight and free of corrosion

Advertisement