Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catfish

• 24-05-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Well lads I know that this is a long shot but does anyone know of a lake with catfish in it, ive seen programs on tele with matt hayes and the likes and seeing how difficult it can be to catch them draws me into having ago at it but not sure if there is any in ireland. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I would very much doubt if any lake in Ireland has catfish.
    There was rumored to be wels in lough derg but I'd say that is up there with nessie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Matthias Deep Pill

None in Ireland, they are stocked in lakes in the UK for angling, if you want a really big one in its natural habitat spain or france are the places to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

None in Ireland, they are stocked in lakes in the UK for angling, if you want a really big one in its natural habitat spain or france are the places to go :)

The Wels cats are not really native in France or Spain but they are the best places to fish for them.

If you really want one try the EBRO. I had them to nearly 12 stone there back in the early 2000s but they are growing much bigger now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Catfish would do way too much damage to fish stocks in this country and its bad as it is but England seem to have it worked out an France has decent numbers aswell but the Ebro holds the largest wels cats in Europe
    For me This year it's the Fraser river in Vancouver for salmon
    Next year the EBRO in Spain for cats and zander
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

spain is not natural habitat for cat. (Germans brought it in 50's or something...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

I know a lad who swears on his life he seen one caught on the ramor in virginia at the school about 4 years ago. said it was about 6lb. I think its pure skutter and told him that but he was and still is adamant that its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Deagánach666

I know a lad here in the West of Ireland (Maigh Eo) who swears on his life he catches them. He refers to them by a local name of Shaet'fish/Sliogán. Sliogán is the Irish for Siluro which is wels. I showed him a photo and he said that it was Wels. He said he'd bring me up soon so I'll be going with him in 3 weeks to go fishing for them. He also wierdly has the behaviour of the fish down to a tee and he's the kinda lad now who doesn't use the phone for anything except checking the shed cams. There is also apparently Brown Bullhead catfish in the North but I'd say it's a load of ring. I don't believe yer man but I'll go for a gawk.

But Wels or any catfish is not native to Ireland. Most claims are probably like the Zander in Lough Mask scandal. It would be interesting to have them in a man made stock lakes though for sport fishing. The only catfish we have that I know of is the Cait-mara which is more commonly known as the North Atlantic Wof Fish or Sea Cat. Hope this was helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Well did ye catch any catfish?

Advertisement