Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gathering Foot (Sewing Machine)

Options
  • 23-05-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hello, looking for some advice and please be patient as I'm a complete noob and know hardly anything about sewing machines.
    I got a Brother BM-3500 from my sister last year and saw someone using a gathering (ruffle?) foot online and am now mad to get one. I know gathers can be done without it but I always break the threads no matter how gentle I try to be.
    Anyway, on the page it shows lots of different foots but not the one I'm looking for, does that mean I can't get one at all?
    Or is there some kinda universal sewing foot that could be got?
    If so, where's a good place to buy them, I'd assume Hickeys but would there be cheaper/trustworthy places online?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

According to the brother.ie website its the :

http://www.brother.ie/g3v1/g3.cfm/s_page/52670/s_level/33950/s_product/FO12N

F012N your after.

There's a link to suppliers too there.

If you're on the west coast I recommend Lana's wool shop in Limerick, but there are loads of Brother stockists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    According to the brother.ie website its the :
    http://www.brother.ie/g3v1/g3.cfm/s_page/52670/s_level/33950/s_product/FO12N
    F012N your after. There's a link to suppliers too there. If you're on the west coast I recommend Lana's wool shop in Limerick, but there are loads of Brother stockists.
    Thank you so much for the reply. I live in Limerick so I know Lana's but only go in if I know exactly what I want, hopefully will get in over the weekend.

Trying ringing first and asking for a quote for that part number. I usually do that months before I'll be in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dotspot

You don't need a gathering foot. You just set your stitch length to the longest stitch and sew. (Make sure not to backstitch at the beginning or end and leave a long thread). Then when you are done you pull the bottom thread to create the gather.

Good luck!
    M

OP, if your thread does keep breaking ask in the sewing shop for gutermann thread, I find either the polycotton or poly very strong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement