Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body weight training to help MMA

Options
  • 23-05-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

For the last while I've been training bjj x3 a week, and weight training x3 a week(changing program regularly).
    My plan is to increase my bjj+mma training to 5 times a week but I dont want to lose strength,size with the increase in cardio. I'm planning on freezing my gym membership to see how this goes, but would like to try a some kind of calisthenics program to help maintain strength/size. Any help is appreciated.
    I have no equipment but am willing to buy whatevers needed.

[moderator:maybe this could be posted in mma forum too.]
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

I like Convict Conditioning. It's a gimmicky name but the program seems to me to be solidly set up. It incorporates a 10 step progression in the difficulty of 6 basic bodyweight exercises balanced to hit your entire body. There's a thread on boards about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lambasted wrote: »
    For the last while I've been training bjj x3 a week, and weight training x3 a week(changing program regularly).
    Why are you changing your program regularly?

To me thats a sign of aimless, random training, rather than a structured to your goals
    My plan is to increase my bjj+mma training to 5 times a week but I dont want to lose strength,size with the increase in cardio.
    2 extra sessions of training won't so much extra cardio that you lose size, there's a decent anaerobic load with certain MMA/grappling training also. But less weight training will, will you be reducing your 3 days lifting?
    Also, eat you'll need to eat more to retain size.
    I training with a guy who does grapples 5 days a week (BJJ and wrestling) and he has the same physique as any lifter. One thing i've noted that when he isn;t n the mats he is shoveling food into himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Thanks for replies. When I say regularly I don't mean every week. I mean when I finish a certain program, for example di franco's "built like a badass" was 12 weeks, then switched to a program given to me by s&c coach for 8 weeks etc.
    And yes if I freeze my gym membership I won't be doing any lifting. That's why I'm looking for a calisthenics routine to replace the lifting. Have got hold of the convict conditioning program guidelines and progression chart so might give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doek87

there is endless exercises to help you out that needs no equipment..
    sit troughs, push ups. burpees, knee tucks, chin ups, squat jumps, lunge jumps, etc.

all done fast will be anaerobic exercises and i think would also help you allot with MMA if you choose this path, most bbj guys do :D as its an explosive sport,

for bjj id invest in a chin up bar and some rope, to work on pulling exercises as in bbj you will notice there's more pulling your opponent towards you (in to the guard) being stronger in the forearms and back could really help!!

i no im late to this form hope it still helps :/

Advertisement