Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsuccessful Applicant TCD - tips for re-applying for S&LT or TO (2014)

Options
  • 23-05-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello, I had applied for Speech & Language or Occupational Therapy at TCD as a mature student, sadly I was unsuccessful for either course. S&L have given me feedback and it seems my weakness was lack of anatomy/physiology, and also my experience base was children-focused and not broad enough to incorporate older people with disabilities .... I am still waiting on OT to tell me where my application was weak.
    May I ask what kinds of things other people have done to improve their TCD applications for these courses so that, when they have not been successful in their first attempt, they were better positioned in their second attempt?
    I am gutted that I was not successful ... but determined to try again. I didn't even get an interview for S&L, but I did get one for my second choice OT, but didn't get a place sadly.
    Humbird

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Fear not! There is always next year!

I didn't get accepted anywhere in the first year I applied. I did get an interview with TCD but I was so nervous at the interview, coupled with my lack of academic courses, I didn't get a place.

You did well by contacting the departments to find out your weaknesses. You can now work on them.

I got a job as a care assistant for the year and also enrolled in the access to science and engineering course at UCD. It's a part time course aimed at hopeful mature students This gave me a good grounding of the science subjects at university level.

I would look into volunteering with a couple of charities or ask could you shadow an OT/SALT in a hospital or private hospital or clinic. Explain that you are a mature student and your reason for wanting to gain experience. You could also contact the OT/SALT departments in the acute hospitals and see do they have 'open days' for TY students. They might let you attend those.

Research more into the areas of OT and SALT and see where you could volunteer.

OTs and SALTs play a huge role in stroke rehabilitation and spinal injuries so maybe contact a few hospitals/centres who deal with those types of patients. The NRH, Spinal Injuries Ireland, Volunteer Stroke Scheme.

Other areas include intellectual disability so places such as Carmona Services - St. John of God or St. Michael's House or Daughters of Charity, Navan Road.

Also, private nursing homes may have OT and SALT services.

I have just completed my degree! I got offered my top 3 choices the 2nd year I applied. :) So it is possible. Just research the areas well and know the patient population they may treat and in what type of setting.

Have a look at the stickied thread in this forum on Tips on Applying as a Mature Student, which I made after I got accepted. Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dee7

have you thought of applying to the uk?
    Im studying occupational therapy here at moment as mature study?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Humbird

Larianne, great reply and so much to do to prepare already for next year. I did apply to TAP (Trinity access Programme) and I am waiting to hear about an interview, I will defo take it if I get offered a place. I also intend to do a FETAC 5 course in Anatomy and Physiology. I will do volunteer work in the areas you suggested. Thanks for the tips!

Dee, unfortunately I can't move out of Dublin as I have a school going young son, so its Trinity or no where unfortunately!

Thanks for the replies!
    Humbird

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dee7

Keep trying I'm was rejected twice in uk for msc in ot and finally started last September in degree course any work in area even if it's a day is vey helpful:) best of luck it's a long road but there's light at end of tunnel and it's such a brilliant career :) best luck!

Hi,
    I felt compelled to update on my quest to be accepted into S&L or OT at Trinity College after my unsuccessful attempts in 2013. I am delighted that you (Laurianne) were successful after your second attempt in 2009 .. however I was not so successful. After my failed attempts in 2013 for a course place, I was undeterred and decided to do whatever it took - I applied to UCD's mature student access programme (Science & Engineering) just like you did, I got first class honours on the course. I did volunteer work with adults with disabilities and also a well known charity organisation. There was a huge amount of personal sacrifice in my endeavours for a second year running to obtain a course place at Trinity, and my young family have had very little of my time due to the intensity of the UCD course over the last 9 months - but they all understood the importance of my academic pursuits so I could give Trinity my best shot for this September. However, despite my best efforts two years running, again this year (for Sep 2014) I did not get a course place. I can't tell you how disappointed I am again, and am a loss as how I should proceed. I am writing this on the forum because I feel that others should know that despite being a good candidate and following all the advice of others and going to great lengths to improve on previous CAO applications that sometimes the odds are just stacked against you, like they have been for me and it may be that two years in a row an application does not proceed beyond interview stage.
    Humbird

• Advertisement

... I forgot to add that I also did shadowing over the last 9 months anywhere I could get in, it was great. But it still didn't get me over the hurdle beyond interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aoifed6

Humbird wrote: »
    Hi,
    I felt compelled to update on my quest to be accepted into S&L or OT at Trinity College after my unsuccessful attempts in 2013. I am delighted that you (Laurianne) were successful after your second attempt in 2009 .. however I was not so successful. After my failed attempts in 2013 for a course place, I was undeterred and decided to do whatever it took - I applied to UCD's mature student access programme (Science & Engineering) just like you did, I got first class honours on the course. I did volunteer work with adults with disabilities and also a well known charity organisation. There was a huge amount of personal sacrifice in my endeavours for a second year running to obtain a course place at Trinity, and my young family have had very little of my time due to the intensity of the UCD course over the last 9 months - but they all understood the importance of my academic pursuits so I could give Trinity my best shot for this September. However, despite my best efforts two years running, again this year (for Sep 2014) I did not get a course place. I can't tell you how disappointed I am again, and am a loss as how I should proceed. I am writing this on the forum because I feel that others should know that despite being a good candidate and following all the advice of others and going to great lengths to improve on previous CAO applications that sometimes the odds are just stacked against you, like they have been for me and it may be that two years in a row an application does not proceed beyond interview stage.
    Humbird

Did you even get an interview ?

Advertisement