Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I fail Irish to I need to repeat the whole LC? (for UCD)

Options
  • 23-05-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey all, my preferred course is in UCD but I messed up my Irish oral big time and going to try to recover as much as I can but I am very bad at Irish and lack a lot of the basics, think there might be a chance of failure. Other than that though I'll get my points, so all I need to know is if I do fail Irish would I be able to repeat next year doing just Irish? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Hey all, my preferred course is in UCD but I messed up my Irish oral big time and going to try to recover as much as I can but I am very bad at Irish and lack a lot of the basics, think there might be a chance of failure. Other than that though I'll get my points, so all I need to know is if I do fail Irish would I be able to repeat next year doing just Irish? Cheers.

Yes you would indeed be able to resit Irish on its own, unless you wish to do medicine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you ord level or higher Irish. Im dyslexic( wasnt going to pay €500 to have a report saying I was and risk not getting the exception) and I honestly can barely string a sentence together and cant tell the difference between tenses. But I got a C3 in it with not opening a book. TBH I dont think they try to fail people at Irish and look for anything to bring you up to a pass like in all subjects.

Dont worry about your oral. My teacher who has examined orals said you cant really fail it unless you sit there with a blank wtf am I doing here face. Although your not going to do amazing either. Just try and learn a letter and a story and Im sure you will do fine. (btw my teacher didnt do listening or anything from the papers). So if i can pass anyone can

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ClongowesBoy

hfallada wrote: »
    Are you ord level or higher Irish. Im dyslexic( wasnt going to pay €500 to have a report saying I was and risk not getting the exception) and I honestly can barely string a sentence together and cant tell the difference between tenses. But I got a C3 in it with not opening a book. TBH I dont think they try to fail people at Irish and look for anything to bring you up to a pass like in all subjects.

Dont worry about your oral. My teacher who has examined orals said you cant really fail it unless you sit there with a blank wtf am I doing here face. Although your not going to do amazing either. Just try and learn a letter and a story and Im sure you will do fine. (btw my teacher didnt do listening or anything from the papers). So if i can pass anyone can

I've never gotten above a D1(yep ordinary level :D) in 6th year though so can't see me getting a C3, then again I've never studied it before, if I study I might I guess.

That is a reassurance though, maybe I didn't fail my oral but my sraith pictuirs were so bad that I'm afraid the examiner will think I was trying to be rude(they were seriously very poor). Hopefully I can pull together a pass. Did you study poetry and the pros thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I've never gotten above a D1(yep ordinary level :D) in 6th year though so can't see me getting a C3, then again I've never studied it before, if I study I might I guess.

That is a reassurance though, maybe I didn't fail my oral but my sraith pictuirs were so bad that I'm afraid the examiner will think I was trying to be rude(they were seriously very poor). Hopefully I can pull together a pass. Did you study poetry and the pros thing?

For the pros and poetry get a rewise wise for ordinary level. They have basic irish sentences for you to learn off and can answer most questions with. I used this in the mock and got a b! And like you only need to fill the entry requirement for irish

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

hfallada wrote: »

So true! I did my sliocht (not even exactly sure it's called that, but the passage you have to read out before the real 'conversation' starts) and said my name and then didn't say anything else beyond that for my Irish oral - I burst into tears and the examiner had to turn off the tape cos I literally had nothing else to say, she told me not to worry and that I wasn't failing it, I was on a D and just to try and say some words and I'd be fine, did absolutely no study for the written papers except for turning up to class in 5th year (I didn't go to class in 6th year because we had already covered the course, I had other classes to go to and - lets face it it was pass!) and ended up getting 110/110 in my paper one and a B1 overall (I used a story I learned off by heart from a primary school text book for my Junior Cert and used it in every exam since, wrote it down for the LC and hoped it fit into my title). That was my first year doing ordinary Irish.

The second year went a bit differently, I decided I wasn't going to be a complete joke for the second oral as I had nightmares of the previous year repeating itself so I learned my sliocht (pretty sure it's called that now..) pronunciations and all the rest of it and got my primary school teacher friend (and gaeilgor -sp?-) to give me a crash course the weekend before my oral (in fairness I probably should have started this more in advance, but like I said before, it was pass and I had more important things to do..) and she was even shocked at my level (although I didn't know this at the time, she was telling me I was great and telling me things to say and all the rest of it and saying maybe I should just practice a bit more when I got home, as she had told my sister to get on my case to learn off loads of stuff). But anyway, I went in the day of my oral, I was first up in both of them (Irish and French), because I was an external candidate and we were either put first or last for our orals, so I went in and did my sliocht, giving it socks, projecting my voice, giving life to Bidi Early (or maybe it was the mUmbro top...) and really selling myself as a credible candidate for this oral exam as when I lifted up my head I noticed the examiner looked impressed and he was saying ar fheabhas and go hiontach (one of the things along with go tobann! that I remember from primary school) and nodding his head, then the real oral started and this is where it all went down hill...

He told me to tell him about myself so there I was rambeling off the flash card that I had learned about me, my age, my name how many brothers and sisters I had and all the rest - until (go tobann...get it? :P) he stopped my to ask a question. Of course I hadn't a breeze what he was going on about and I'd say my face was a picture as I just sat there looking at him with the blankest face on me until he said 'lan ar eigh' (which I didn't know at the time meant carry on until he started making a motion with his had that meant keep going) and as my teacher had told me, they shouldn't really interrupt you in the middle of your chunks of learnt off things, they're going to know you're from pass and they probably won't want to ask you too many questions (very reassuring.. until he started asking me all about what did I think was wrong with the leaving cert system and what would I do to change it and about aids in Africa - think he may have thought I was higher level until I answered every question of his apart from the basic ones with nil is agam). So that all ended up pretty fast (even though I didn't know when to go cos he gave all of his instructions in Irish and only when he was like, yeah that's grand and pointed to the door, I knew it was over).

Then came the written exam ... and I was infinitely less prepared the second year as the entire amount of my study comprised of listening to The Coronas in Irish on my iPod, I remembered my story from the year before (hoping it would be 3rd time lucky) wrote it down and hoped it fit into my title again (pretty sure it's not as strict as English - although I did end up using my short story remodelled from my JC in both of my LCs - all about being able to adapt lol). I wrote it all down as quickly as I could and ended up leaving after 15 minutes in the first paper and 20 minutes in the second paper as I remember I needed to use that time to study for business. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't answer a couple of questions, I never looked over the paper before I left and ended up getting a C2 the second year, at my mocks I couldn't string a sentence together and half of my paper was written in French (I was almost fluent French, I didn't even know I wasn't writing in Irish), didn't end up handing up the paper cos I didn't want to waste the teachers time having to correct it and when I showed it to my friend from the HL class, she thought it was the funnest thing she'd ever seen in her life!

Sorry it took so long to write, but moral of the story is you'll be fine! Just do a bit of study between now and the exam and you'll be absolutely grand, there's so many things you can just learn off (stories, pros, the poems are on the paper), and like we all say, in fairness it is pass, it'll be grand! If there's one thing to remember, the examiners are NOT out to get you, so stop worrying!

(Another helpful thing to remember is that you'll never meet your examiner so don't feel stupid about writing anything down in the exam, you just never know it may be right, and even if it's not you might still get marks for it!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement