Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Red Robin hedge

Options
  • 23-05-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm planning to plant about 20 potted Red Robin plants around my front garden fence and I have a couple of questions that needs an answer.

1. Is it ok to plant at this time of the year?

2. The soil gets very dry when there is no rain for a week, so do I need to add compost, fertilizer or manure?.

3. Does this plant needs plenty of water when there is no rain?

4. I'm correct to say 2 plants for every meter?

I'm new to gardening so any help and tips are very welcome.

rgds

Zeppi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its getting a bit late, but yes you can plant them now, you will just have to be careful to water them any time there is a dry spell, or even a slightly dry spell for the first season.

The fertilizer/manure/compost question does not really relate to the dryness of the soil, more to the feeding of the plant. Digging a bit of compost into the hole (mix it with the soil) will help encourage the plant to send out roots beyond the existing root ball. More important for dry soil would be to put mulch on the surface to keep the moisture in.

Any new shrub would need water in the first season when there is no rain. If you do decide to water though, give it a lot occasionally rather than a dribble every day. Small amounts of water are pointless, they just don't get to the roots.

2 plants to a meter sounds ok, you need to keep them trimmed at least initially to thicken them up, they grow quite vigorously.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

1. You Can plant potted plants anytime of year (bare roots are cheaper but only plant in dormant season)

2. Soak before planting, water directly after planting & every second day if no rain

You can add well rotted Farm Yard manure to planting holes while planting / alternatively topdress with manure pellets

3. Once established the plants can survive with rain

4. 2 per metre is fine, id do the same. you can plant closer if the plants are small and you want an instant hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Cheers guys plants now planted.

rgds

Zeppi

Advertisement