Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am7 or is it called different?

Options
  • 23-05-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

If I play a normal A minor 7 but place my pinky on the high E 3rd fret is it called something different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

It can be viewed as Am7 or Cmaj6.
    But generally I'd stick with Am7 as the A is the root.

This would be the case if you played the open E or the G by the way as the chord contains the same notes, just in general a m7 is also a maj6 chord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Getting into this theory stuff. Been playing for 30 years ...bout time I started eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Getting into this theory stuff

Good on ya Fingers !!! ;)

I found this to be very helpful. I'm sure you will too.

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf

nice one riggsby....ok another one for yiz. Low e to high e 575775....I know it's some variation on a a7sus4 but what does the finger on the b string change it to?...beautiful chord whatever it's called. Saw ould Eric Gales play it. Right off to try and book some of these one direction tickets :D

That's a tough one, it's actually Em11 without a 5th. If you take the F# out you're left with A7sus4 alright.

• Advertisement

You could get an A13sus 4 *(kind of) out of it alright, its the G note that throws it out though.
    the notes in the chord are:
    A = 1st
    E = 5th
    G = b7th
    D = 4th
    F# = 6th (13th)

so the A,E,D will give you Asus4, adding in the F# gives A13sus4, however, the G note in there is a b7 meaning you'd get A13sus4b7....which is a nightmare.
    you could also go with something along the lines of Gmaj7(9,13) no 3rd but I'd find it easier playing over it if I thought of it as Em11 personally.

either way its a nice interesting chord

KeithTS wrote: »
    You could get an A13sus 4 *(kind of) out of it alright, its the G note that throws it out though.
    the notes in the chord are:
    A = 1st
    E = 5th
    G = b7th
    D = 4th
    F# = 6th (13th)

so the A,E,D will give you Asus4, adding in the F# gives A13sus4, however, the G note in there is a b7 meaning you'd get A13sus4b7....which is a nightmare.
    you could also go with something along the lines of Gmaj7(9,13) no 3rd but I'd find it easier playing over it if I thought of it as Em11 personally.

either way its a nice interesting chord

Chewers keith.you know you're stuff.just trying too get my head around all this theory business.

If you're just starting out with this stuff I'd suggest a couple of things.

1 - Write out all the notes played in the chord

2 - Write out the notes of the major scale of each of those notes. You'll more than likely always assume you're playing in the same scale as the lowest note in the chord but this is not always the case. As in the chord above, you could get A13sus4(b7) but there's simpler alternatives.

3 - Go through each note and match it to the relevant position in each scale, again like I did in my post where I listed A = 1st, E = 5th and so on. Do this is for each of the scales too. This will give you a good feel for the relationship between different chords or naming alternatives.

A good exercise is to write out alternatives for other chords you already know, for instance, F#m7 is also A6. there's no point in doing this for triads however so come up with some fancy chords to try it out on.

Advertisement