Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive- roundabouts and lowering the gears

Options
  • 23-05-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So I've been learning to drive and getting lessons but when I get to a roundabout I just completely panic about when to pull off and indicate for whichever exit. I've conked out a few times when I drive onto the roundabout and I actually dread coming up to them, my instructor is really good but its like everything goes out of my head and sheer panic sets in. :o
    I have a problem also knowing when to change the gears not going up but coming down like from 5th to 2nd or 1st. Is everybody else like this when they started driving when it comes to roundabouts and lowering the gear?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Slow down gradually on the approach, changing down the gears as you approach. If you're 200 yards from the roundabout look 200 yards beyond the roundabout and as far to the right as you can. Look at what is approaching the roundabout at the same time as you. Think, how fast are they going (compared to you), how close to the roundabout are they (compared to you). This will help you judge things a bit better. Continue these observations the closer you get.
    In general, aim to be in 2nd gear with your foot off the clutch by the time you reach the little island before the roundabout. This will ensure your speed is under control on the final approach.

A lot of learners feel exactly the way you do, it'll come, don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Look around town for an extremely quiet roundabout and nail your techkique. Then move up!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

As above.

It's all about preparation. Give yourself plenty of time to get to 2nd or 1st gear.

Plan ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Slow down gradually on the approach, changing down the gears as you approach. If you're 200 yards from the roundabout look 200 yards beyond the roundabout and as far to the right as you can. Look at what is approaching the roundabout at the same time as you. Think, how fast are they going (compared to you), how close to the roundabout are they (compared to you). This will help you judge things a bit better. Continue these observations the closer you get.
    In general, aim to be in 2nd gear with your foot off the clutch by the time you reach the little island before the roundabout. This will ensure your speed is under control on the final approach.

A lot of learners feel exactly the way you do, it'll come, don't worry about it.
    Dr Nic wrote: »
    Look around town for an extremely quiet roundabout and nail your techkique. Then move up!
    Aced_Up wrote: »
    As above.

It's all about preparation. Give yourself plenty of time to get to 2nd or 1st gear.

Plan ahead

Thanks folks, I know I wont get anywhere dodging them, I've no choice anyway, theres one at the end of the street where I live

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah..its all in the preparation.. Give yourself time to slow, shift and see. Like everything it comes down to practice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Have a look here.There's a few different videos but the 2 on roundabouts are good.

greyc wrote: »
    Have a look here.There's a few different videos but the 2 on roundabouts are good.

Brilliant link, Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

pookiesboo wrote: »
    So I've been learning to drive and getting lessons but when I get to a roundabout I just completely panic about when to pull off and indicate for whichever exit. I've conked out a few times when I drive onto the roundabout and I actually dread coming up to them, my instructor is really good but its like everything goes out of my head and sheer panic sets in. :o
    I have a problem also knowing when to change the gears not going up but coming down like from 5th to 2nd or 1st. Is everybody else like this when they started driving when it comes to roundabouts and lowering the gear?

Hi,

You panic because you overload the brain, you are trying to learn to much new stuff at once. (Learners can not multi-task :)). You should have learned to change down before attempting a roundabout.

Learn to change down. Pick a nice straight quiet road, perhaps the hard shoulder of a dual carriage, select a landmark ahead such as a sign post, check your mirrors, brake down to say 3rd gear speed, when you heve reached that speed, mirror, change into 3rd, clutch up and have your foot off the clutch just as you reach the sign, drive along at this speed for the distance of two or three artic trucks, then speed up do it all over again. Then do the same for 2nd gear, mirrors, brake down to 2nd gear speed etc etc. (There is no need to change down though the gears)

When you come to "do" a junction imagine that there is an artic truck parked just on the corner or edge of the roundabout, aim to then have your clutch up just as you reach the end of your imaginery artic.

Ideally you should approach every junction totally at ease, at a speed that you can drive through if clear or comfortably stop if necessary. That speed depends on the line of sight, size, shape of the junction and your course through the junction.

Did your instructor not give you a full "Talk through", then as you gain confidence and experience reduce the "talk through" to the odd prompt. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Aced_Up wrote: »
    As above.

Plan ahead

while taking into account the speeding L plate hating w@nker behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I dunno. Maybe the instructor is no use?

The fella I had was insistent that in a 50kmh zone I kept her in 3rd the whole time as any higher and you'd be inclined to speed.
    The one advantage of that is that coming to a roundabout you only have 1 cog to go down to get it to 2nd.
    You only use first gear if you end up stopping because of a car on the roundabout and need to start from standing.

On roundabouts on main roads you are approaching them at a faster speed but there its no different. You are looking to be able to brake at the entry to the roundabout, as the previous poster says you need to be able to comfortably stop at the roundabout.
    I'd normally coast the last 30m or so, braking as necessary, with the gearstick already in second ready for use should the passage be free on the roundabout - but also ready to "comfortably stop" at the roundabout entry if some crazy hoor comes flying round the roundabout unexpectedly!

If its any consolation, it does take a little practice and sometimes you will let the clutch out a bit early and the engine may rev loundly but dont worry. The engine isnt being damaged and through practice and little mistakes you'll only improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

The fella I had was insistent that in a 50kmh zone I kept her in 3rd the whole time as any higher and you'd be inclined to speed. this is stupid advice, youll wear your gears out constantly over revving, youll burn through petrol faster, better to get into the highest gear you can. control your speed by lifting your foot off the pedals and using the road surface to your advantage, (off gas down hill, on gas up hill)
    The one advantage of that is that coming to a roundabout you only have 1 cog to go down to get it to 2nd. just drop from 5th into 2nd as you approach
    You only use first gear if you end up stopping because of a car on the roundabout and need to start from standing.

On roundabouts on main roads you are approaching them at a faster speed but there its no different. You are looking to be able to brake at the entry to the roundabout, as the previous poster says you need to be able to comfortably stop at the roundabout.
    I'd normally coast the last 30m or so, braking as necessary, with the you shouldnt ever coast, if you coast on the test you will failgearstick already in second ready for use should the passage be free on the roundabout - but also ready to "comfortably stop" at the roundabout entry if some crazy hoor comes flying round the roundabout unexpectedly!

If its any consolation, it does take a little practice and sometimes you will let the clutch out a bit early and the engine may rev loundly but dont worry. The engine isnt being damaged and through practice and little mistakes you'll only improve

Please op dont do these things.

just take the sensible advice for roundabouts, slow down on approach and give your self plenty of time, change gear to match your speed, be in the correct lane, maintain the right speed while turning, use your mirrors correctly and indicate as you go past the exit before yours so people know when you will be turning off.

The fella I had was insistent that in a 50kmh zone I kept her in 3rd the whole time as any higher and you'd be inclined to speed.
    The one advantage of that is that coming to a roundabout you only have 1 cog to go down to get it to 2nd.

I'd normally coast the last 30m or so, braking as necessary, with the gearstick already in second ready for use should the passage be free on the roundabout - but also ready to "comfortably stop" at the roundabout entry if some crazy hoor comes flying round the roundabout unexpectedly!

No my instructor is great, really patient, its just that I start panicking and everything I've learned goes out of my head :o
    My OH took me out the other night and we drove around for a bit. I was driving pretty slowly about 30km and there was a car driving up my hole beeping. The L-plated didnt deter them, doesnt do much for the confidence. I know I just have to get over it and keep practicing but the more I worry when I see a roundabout the more I f**k up!

No my instructor is great, really patient, its just that I start panicking and everything I've learned goes out of my head :o
    My OH took me out the other night and we drove around for a bit. I was driving pretty slowly about 30km and there was a car driving up my hole beeping. The L-plated didnt deter them, doesnt do much for the confidence. I know I just have to get over it and keep practicing but the more I worry when I see a roundabout the more I f**k up!

OP where are you, find a nice friendly roundabout (go for a big one with 3 exits 1 entrance) and spend an evening coming on and coming off at different roads. one on an industrial estate is good, minimal traffic and pedestrians. (there is a good one I used to practice on in bluebell industrial estate off the naas road if youre in that area)

As far as other drivers go it's something you will have to get used to, try to drive closer to the speed limit, going too slow is almost as dangerous as speeding, and pretty much ignore them when they are on your bumper.

OP where are you, find a nice friendly roundabout (go for a big one with 3 exits 1 entrance) and spend an evening coming on and coming off at different roads. one on an industrial estate is good, minimal traffic and pedestrians. (there is a good one I used to practice on in bluebell industrial estate off the naas road if youre in that area)

As far as other drivers go it's something you will have to get used to, try to drive closer to the speed limit, going too slow is almost as dangerous as speeding, and pretty much ignore them when they are on your bumper.

Thanks! In Tralee myself. There is a roundabout right at the end of the street where I live (of course there is:() but like you said an industrial estate just up the road from me, thats where I started to practice. More of a mental thing in my head now, I just started dreading roundabouts and even though I'm fine lowering the gears in the industrial estate, on the road its a different story...
    Will be going out again this evening with my OH so fingers crossed..

Oh and apparently I'm not so good at judging the distance from the passenger side, ive a lot to learn....:(

Oh and apparently I'm not so good at judging the distance from the passenger side, ive a lot to learn....:(

practice practice practice.

As far as judging distances go you can try pulling up as close as you can to something. Getting out to see how far it is. then noting the distance using a reference point, such as the edge of your wiper, your wing mirror etc.

eg. I know on my current car that if the white line is to the left of my wiper blade then my wheels are right on the center line of the road etc.

Youll get more and more familiar with your car the more you practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

+1

Hi

But if you were prepared properly you would not panic. Being patient is not sufficient, he must also instruct. A good instructor immediately sorts out any problem, otherwise the pupil could end up with a complex that could remain with them for the remainder of their driving life.

Of course a really good instructor reckonises, catches and sorts out any issue before it can develop into a problem. Unfortunaely the pupil then believes they are just natural born drivers and gives the instructor little or no credit :(

Try another instructor.

Advertisement