Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fas course

Options
  • 23-05-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I hope someone can advise me...I was called recently into fas and given the choice of two courses that I had to chose to do..not much choice both courses were pretty much the same but different durations both of which I have no interest in doing. So I got called for interview and got a place even though I was less than enthusiastic about it! I was made redundant last year and since then I have begun a correspondence course which is not due to finish until August. Fas are aware I am doing this and it is the complete opposite scale to what the are making me do!

Anyway I have a small child who I have to get sorted in child care and also I do not drive and course is approx 20 minutes away...meaning I will have to sort lifts for both me and my child everyday and there is no bus routes.

Basically I am terrified to say I don't want the course because my first meeting with fas the lady told me if I do not accept course my dole will be cut off immediately and I can't afford for that to happen. But my child has never been in crèche before (was looked after by family when I was in full time work and that option is no longer available) and the course is starting next week!!!

Has anyone any experience with this or can you advise me if there is a way around this? I am obviously looking for work and I know if I get a job that travel and child care will have to be taking care off...but to do a course that will have no benefit to me (also instructor told me that although this is a ten month course there is no career prospects and all applicants will be advised to do add ons to get work out of it) again doesn't make sense.

Sorry for such long post and thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your situation.If I were you, I would be totally honest with FAS. I would ask if you are entitled for any sort of travel allowance and childcare as I did a FAS course and we were all offered travel allowance (although I was walking distance so did not affect me) also, the women with kids got childcare places paid for.

It seems very odd that you would be made do a course you have no interest in -and that has no real job prospects. It may be worth talking to social welfare about your situation as in my experience with FAS their knowledge about the social welfare system was pretty limited. As far as I am aware, FAS cannot decide to cut your welfare off. That sounds very threatening and wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You should be entitled to a CETS place on most courses. contact FAS and ask if there is a CETS support while you are on this course. If it is then you get a list of creches from the local childcare place and you apply to the creche for a place.

http://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/membership-services-insurance-benefits/ecce-cets-and-ccs-funding/cets/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It definitely doesn't sound right as FAS don't have the power to cut off your SW payments. Are you sure it isn't SW themselves insisting you do the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hakuna matata

Yes I'm sure...as far as I'm aware fas and social welfare are joining forces now.what the lady in fas told me was if I don't accept the course and co operate with them them my case will be escalated and I will have to meet with someone in social welfare and they will will chose to cut or stop dole payments. I would understand this is I have never worked or done anything but I have worked since I was sixteen and I'm only unemployed 7 months! I am seeking work and I am trying to educate myself again in a field I have interest in. Just seems to me they are making an example and I suppose getting people off live register but not placing them in courses that are anyway beneficial.

Thanks so much for replies. I'm just so fed up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I'm in similar suituation I went to citizens advice and explained that with 3 children if i took up one of these goverment schemes, I would be worse off due to childcare I need a full time full paid job to cover this. The lady said not to worry they cant cut once your looking for work and to let the welfare/fas person know yes you are looking for work but you need full time work to cover childcare and you have no problem takin on evening courses etc maybe when your husband is home. Boils my blood picking on the newly unemployed that worked all there life and to no fault of there own are now unemployed .. It's just governments way of making live register look better..

Yes I'm sure...as far as I'm aware fas and social welfare are joining forces now.what the lady in fas told me was if I don't accept the course and co operate with them them my case will be escalated and I will have to meet with someone in social welfare and they will will chose to cut or stop dole payments. I would understand this is I have never worked or done anything but I have worked since I was sixteen and I'm only unemployed 7 months! I am seeking work and I am trying to educate myself again in a field I have interest in. Just seems to me they are making an example and I suppose getting people off live register but not placing them in courses that are anyway beneficial.

Thanks so much for replies. I'm just so fed up! :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement