Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Java

Options
  • 23-05-2013 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Apologies for yet another help thread but I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth with the manner in which my FAS (I know) course in Java is progressing.

I have gathered from searching that the FAS way is deemed inherently useless, would I be better served with a book, youtube, and internet forums and try to teach myself and then take the assessments?

For clarity, the course is using a mixture of Robot voice videos and Robot voice slideshows with very deliberate and complex English.

Yesterday it was trying to teach me how to use Javac to compile the place where my 'test' apps were going. Problem is, it assumed my PC would locate Javac.exe (it couldn't) and did not explain what Javac was or what to do if I couldn't find it. So, after an hour, I got a youtube video on how to locate it and learned how to using it by copying (not knowing what the code did) a hello world programme and compiling it. There is at least another 2 hours of robot slideshow/ assessment until I'm left with my first assignment: creating a hello world programme...

Tl;Dr

FAS Java is teaching me at 1/10th the speed of youtube, should I just learn from a book/youtube?

Cheers
    Dizzywizlw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Probably do both is the way to go, so you know what the course is covering so you don't miss anything, but are probably ahead of the material.

I can recommend this book, and also maybe get a free three-month subscription to Pluralsight video training through Microsoft's Dreamspark program. I know they offer this to college students, not sure about FAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Considering how new the OP is, O'Reilly's Head First Java would be an excellent addition to the book shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Maybe it's just early days. You might appreciate the slowness on more advanced aspects.

Regardless, you should be doing as much self learning as possible via youtube, tutorials or hobby projects. I remember from college, the difference between the best and mediocre students were those who did programming outside of the course work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to be honest, if you install java using an installer then it does put javac in the windows directory which is searched automatically.

I'd probably add that working in real life on programming, often its problems like files or settings or servers etc not being found (after being ok maybe beforehand) that you spend a lot of your time chasing up on.

So, take it as an hour of learning real life IT skills rather than an hour lost because something wasnt auto-magically present on your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Thanks for the tips everyone, I ordered Effective Java recently but will look into the resources mentioned.

I'm planning on doing the FAS walkthroughs and then looking at youtube videos etc that explain similar.

It's all goobledygook to me atm but still quite interesting so wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Effective Java is a great book - probably the best java book I bought. BUT, until you've learn something of Java I don't think I'd open it, it might just add to the confusion of a new programming language! Its tips & rules are subtle and important but you really need to know the language to understand why. The head first books mentioned already are supposed to be excellent and you might find one in the library to save yourself a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

croo wrote: »
    Effective Java is a great book - probably the best java book I bought. BUT, until you've learn something of Java I don't think I'd open it, it might just add to the confusion of a new programming language! Its tips & rules are subtle and important but you really need to know the language to understand why. The head first books mentioned already are supposed to be excellent and you might find one in the library to save yourself a few bob.

Indeed, effective java is going to be pretty useless to someone new.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TheMagee

I found the following tutorials pretty good.
    http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=31

TheMagee wrote: »

That is the exact one I was using on youtube, weird.

Having opened effective Java and spent sometime in the fetal position I can only say ya'll are 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

We used Get on up with Java by Rich Picking in first year, four years ago. I found it to be a good introduction to Java, although it certainly doesn't teach you anything advanced.

It'll teach you the basics, if/else, for loops, and so on. Things that most programs would have. No-one would actually pay you to create programs like these, but they are things that you absolutely need to know.

And if you're stuck on a problem, create a stackoverflow account and ask it there. Those guys really know their stuff and there are so many of them on there that your questions are usually answered within the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Use what you can to learn. Get a book and try the examples and try the internet. Look for code and see how it works. You could try Bluej as an IDE for the sake of seeing the interactions between classes, but don't rely on it as your main IDE. You can find a few resources here too: http://www.programmersheaven.com/tags/Java/ and not just Java. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This online course is excellent for learning java:
    http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

TheMagee wrote: »

+1
    I was just about to post this

I've been using the New Boston videos and found that they teach me how to code Java, but functionally not 'theoretically'. Still having trouble with the terminology So I was asked to do a hello world program - done, display name in asterisks - done but now this has been laid on me:

The args part of the program can accept values (parameters) when the program is called
    (run)
    In the eclipse IDE you can supply these arguments (parameters) from the run… run
    configurations.. (x)=arguments.
    Write a Java program called ShowArgs using Eclipse or any IDE.
    This java program should accept two arguments from your program call
    It should then output these arguments.

Include comments to show that you understand fully what the program is doing.
    Compile and run the program in the IDE.

Now I have no idea what it's saying and no idea how to search to learn what it is saying.

I think it's asking me to write a program that will have 'args' defined as two separate things (apples and oranges) then when compiled it will output

Java ShowArgs apples oranges
    apples
    oranges

I anybody could point me in the right direction as to where to look to learn to do this or explain it in simpler terms I'd be most grateful,

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The second thing in every java program you have written so far (more than likely) is "public static void main(String [] args)"

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/890966/what-is-string-args-in-java

Ah thanks very much, so if I compile a program that is

public static void main(String [] args){}

Then the input on the command line after the program is run through as an argument?

So this is what my command line should look like
    javac Args.java
    dir
    java Args Apple Oranges
    Apples
    Oranges

I think I'm supposed to code it so what I enter in command prompt is return...?

Thanks again, the terminology is molesting my brain!

Advertisement