Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband vs UPC

Options
  • 23-05-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I was wondering what peoples experience of Sky Broadband is Vs UPC.

I have fast UPC broadband, 50Mb. and I am thinking of switching my digital TV and broadband to Sky. Mainly because im fed up with UPCs poor set top box.
    I have always been happy with their broadband service.

Is sky broadband good? Are they likely to block file sharing sites similar to BT in the UK?

any advise? I will be getting similar speeds from sky BTW.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there.
    My advice is under NO circumstances move to Sky.
    I have had Sky TV for about 5 years and couldn't bd happier so thought it was great when they introduced broadband and phone.
    I changed over to them in January and it was the worst decision I ever made.
    The highest speeds I was getting was between 3 and 4 but about 2 weeks ago has dropped to about 0.20!!!!!
    They have been unable to rectify the problem so have had to release me from the one year contract.
    I'm moving to UPC and can't wait to!
    The whole experience was a nightmare.
    alrichie wrote: »
    Hi,

I have fast UPC broadband, 50Mb. and I am thinking of switching my digital TV and broadband to Sky. Mainly because im fed up with UPCs poor set top box.

Is sky broadband good? Are they likely to block file sharing sites similar to BT in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

alrichie wrote: »
    Hi,

You first need to decide what's important to you - tv or broadband or both?

With upc, broadband/phone/tv are all supplied by cable connected to upc's private network. With sky, broadband/phone are connected to the eircom supplied phone network, and the tv is supplied from satellite, but using their own stb's.
    While eircom are currently rolling out their efibre network (which will also be supplied to sky), but its early days - 1st day of availability was just a few days ago, so I would be cautious whether you will get 50MB broadband from them.

Since you don't like the upc tv service, why not just look at dropping that and getting sky tv instead! You can always switch back in a years time, or move everything over to sky, depends on how it goes.
    You can walk into most houses now and see what sky have to offer re tv, but not for broadband or phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

UPC for Broadband and Sky for TV is the way to go.

Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I have Sky broadband. Its solid but if I had the option of broadband from UPC I'd have it in a heartbeat

Advertisement