Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Service 49€

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

It's only oil and a hoover.
    No air filter, no pollen filter, no plugs, no wheel balancing, no brake pads..

It's not a very thorough service basically.

Not necessarily a bad offer. But not enough to ensure your car is good for another year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Not bad. For the DIYer the oil and filter change is probably the most awkward part of any service and I've never had my wheels balanced as part of a routine service, the rest is easily done if you're any way competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Maybe the quality of the oil could be substandard though... I normally do the oil change myself but the oil I use normally costs the guts of 50 euro... Plus you have to factor in the new oil filter and possible need to replace the sump nut and washer...

epopnomis wrote: »
    Maybe the quality of the oil could be substandard though... I normally do the oil change myself but the oil I use normally costs the guts of 50 euro... Plus you have to factor in the new oil filter and possible need to replace the sump nut and washer...

I bought Castrol Magnatec for €27 in Halfords recently add another €6 for an oil filter.
    These guys wouldn't be buying oil in gallon cans from motor factors but if you're not happy with the whole look of the thing and can do it yourself, why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

bmaxi wrote: »
    I bought Castrol Magnatec for €27 in Halfords recently add another €6 for an oil filter.
    These guys wouldn't be buying oil in gallon cans from motor factors but if you're not happy with the whole look of the thing and can do it yourself, why bother?

+1

They buy in bulk, and so get bulk rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

+1

They buy in bulk, and so get bulk rates.

Had to buy a headlight bulb last saturday and was in halfords in drogheda. 12 euro for the bulb. Not knowing the price of a bulb I figured thats just the price.

I was in locally owned motor factors yesterday for something else when I noticed the exact same bulb was 6 euro. Sale on I asked? no, thats always the price of those. Is this the same bulb I can get in halfords? they come from the same place. just different packaging.

Had to buy a headlight bulb last saturday and was in halfords in drogheda. 12 euro for the bulb. Not knowing the price of a bulb I figured thats just the price.

I was in locally owned motor factors yesterday for something else when I noticed the exact same bulb was 6 euro. Sale on I asked? no, thats always the price of those. Is this the same bulb I can get in halfords? they come from the same place. just different packaging.

If they're H4 you'll buy two of them in Dealz for €1.49.I bought a push-in sidelight bulb in my local motor factors and was charged €1, when I went for NCT another one was blown and a different motor factor sold me three for €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

mawk wrote: »
    It's only oil and a hoover.
    No air filter, no pollen filter, no plugs, no wheel balancing, no brake pads..

It's not a very thorough service basically.

Not necessarily a bad offer. But not enough to ensure your car is good for another year

This seems to be an oil change service, with semi synthetic oil, oil filter and vacum. In my VW service schedule, it's equivalent to the 15,000 km service. Would cost from €129 in a main dealer. Oil is not suitable for "long life service" which would require fully synthetic oil

Air filter, pollen filter and plugs don't need changing as often as oil service - about every second oil change service or 30,000 km

Wheel balancing and brake pads would be done as necessary and would cost extra with the former usually carried out when replacing tyres or when repairing a puncture. If the tyres are wearing un evenly or there is vibration in the steering while driving, wheel balance and/or tracking should be checked.

No affiliation whatsoever with service provider

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

This would be fine for any older vehicle using semi-synthetic oil and you know you only need an oil change, like an interim service.

Be warned, I'm sure they will try to sell you other items as being "necessary".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

for e49 u get oil n filter changed, car washed n hoovered and the car checked over - whats more can u expect for the price?
    dunno if they try the hard sell but u can always say no!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Regarding the price, 36 people bought already with three days to go, thats 36 possibly new customers rolling in the door, pretty effective and very cheap advertising.

If you look at the nct and mot stats theres about a 40% chance it needs tyres or bulbs, bushings/ball joints/drop links/trackrod ends, brake pads, rotors when it comes in. Let alone if its missed its timing belt interval and other critical fully justified additional items.

Definitely check the required spec for your oil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eugeneq7

Just had my car done by them , they called me to say my car needed 700 .. plus vat to fix all its problems , i said i just wanted what was on the voucher , the called me back to say i had an additional bill of 120 euro for air filter wipers etc i said i never sanctioned any of this work they claimes i did and it was a Friday evening so they said they would have to hold onto the car fopr the weeekend and sort it Monday i needed my car so i paid them over the phone and they left my car outside the compound , I for one will never use them again :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Eugeneq7 wrote: »
    Just had my car done by them , they called me to say my car needed 700 .. plus vat to fix all its problems , i said i just wanted what was on the voucher , the called me back to say i had an additional bill of 120 euro for air filter wipers etc i said i never sanctioned any of this work they claimes i did and it was a Friday evening so they said they would have to hold onto the car fopr the weeekend and sort it Monday i needed my car so i paid them over the phone and they left my car outside the compound , I for one will never use them again :mad:

That's ridiculous. I wonder if you could report the car stolen if they weren't going to give it back to you? Intimidation tactics is all that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Jeez.... That's disgusting.

I'm really sorry about that Eugene.

Perhaps its worth raising a complaint through the SIMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

How did you pay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

First post ....... also Fine Print
    Validity: Expires 30 November 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Always abit dubious when first post runs a firm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Eugeneq7 wrote: »

New reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

This comes up for discussion often enough in the motors forum. Most agree that the oils being used might not be fantastic.

That said if you have an old banger thats only worth a few hundred quid it is not bad.

On the other hand the last service I had done included oil filter air filter and fully synthetic 5w30 oil for €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For what make of car toyotaavensis??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

an avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I bought a groupon deal for Advance Pitstop. All well and good til I got in the door - next thing they are telling me I need €1.5k worth or work done including 2 new tyres (there was a screw in one, nail in the other) and get my lights focused, along with a host of other work. Needless to say I didn't take their advice.

Got tyres plugged in TyreLand and brought it straight to NCT - passed without so much as a fail/advise.

I thought rip off garages and chancers were a thing of the past but they are still well and truly alive. Beware of these offers is all - they could try to make more profit out of you another way and some - and not always honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

an avensis.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

I was attempted scammed by canavan garage (fairview) on one of these deals:

Bought an "Electronic Car Check and valet" from the board.ie/adverts version of groupon
    from canavan garage www.canavanford.ie east wall road dublin

Electronic to them meant they printed out the report for me - rather than any check of the car. Wash was an oily rag of something over my dash that took me hours to clean the misty gunk that was all over my once shiney interior.

But the scam was they had a list of 1,900 euros worth of work they said needed to be done to my car - rusty suspension that apparently needed immediate attention especially had me worried - I declined their services.

And it cost me then a second and third report from 2 other garages to say there was indeed *Nothing* wrong with the car - and it then since passed 2 NCT's after with no issues also. Scammers.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looking at the offer and it says "from" €49. You are not going to get a car serviced for €49 to be honest. The oil and filter alone for most basic cars would nearly cost that, not to mention the cut that the group deal or living social type crowd get from advertising the offer. Not too many garages would survive doing €49 services all day. These type offers are "get you in the door" offers in the hope of bringing in more business from you. People seem to get easily duped by the headline price.

Advertisement