Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads for mormonism on boards.ie

Options
  • 23-05-2013 5:09am

So apparently my browser cookies are telling boards.ie I want to be a mormon. I can't go anywhere on the site without being plastered with "Mormon.co.uk" ads.

I'll be honest, I still do the God thing to an extent, but I'd be happy to lose those scripture snippets on busses & other posters if it meant I could live my life without being bothered about what I think about how this universe thing started up!

Not going to happen of course, the free speech autopilots would have a fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

AdBlock my friend. Also kills the ads in facebook and elsewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Alternatively subscribe and you can disable the adverts.

Oh. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did you do a search for Mormons recently? :)

Google remembers everything...

I've been getting them too. They almost had me convinced until I saw this thread and realised it wasn't directed at me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If they are Google ads they have a little X in the top right so you can be all like, no! no more of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I keep getting them on my phone, but not when I'm on boards via my computer..

Anyhow, everytime Isee them I just start humming songs of Book of Mormon musical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I saw a couple of mormon missionaries walking around the other day. It makes sense now, they were probably looking for you.

There's no escape, even with subscriptions or adblock. Just had a mobile advert for Jehovah's Witness at the door offering me bible lessons. Though he was nice, I had to point out how peculiar it is that each religion feels their's is morally better than others/none. I directed him towards the teachings of Marcus Aurelius and recommended that his sayings hadn't been as heavily edited as the bible, so he wouldn't have to pick and choose quotes from a book that mostly contradicts itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Obliq wrote: »
    [...] I directed him towards the teachings of Marcus Aurelius [...]
    And Tacitus, Pliny and Plato!

Whatever about the vapid phrase "the wisdom of the ancients" -- usually produced by people untroubled my much knowledge of either -- there were a lot of smart cookies writing smart books a very long time ago and the passage of millennia has not dimmed their usefulness, their humour or their readability.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »

Whatever about the vapid phrase "the wisdom of the ancients" -- usually produced by people untroubled my much knowledge of either -- there were a lot of smart cookies writing smart books a very long time ago and the passage of millennia has not dimmed their usefulness, their humour or their readability.

Quite right! I mentioned Plato too. The poor man ran into some difficulty in trying to justify how equal women are in the eyes of the Lord, as per the bible, so I thought I'd help him out with a more universally acceptable source of morality (in the sense all people being equal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The mobile ads generally seem more bizarre than the regular ones.

Sarky wrote: »
    The mobile ads generally seem more bizarre than the regular ones.

I did mention to him that I thought it was quite bizarre to open the door to a person who is convinced that their morals are better than your own, beliefs are better than your own and yet can offer nothing to women except motherhood and submission to men - he reluctantly agreed that becoming a JW wouldn't be a step up for me in my social standing. After he had reluctantly agreed that his belief couldn't be better than mine because mine is evidence based and he had no proof that his was better. :D Poor fella - he looked a bit miserable when I didn't want his literature either.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The upside of such 'mis-targeting' is the wasted ad spend.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

tricky D wrote: »
    The upside of such 'mis-targeting' is the wasted ad spend.:)

Don't forget that the religious folks will get bombarded with gay dating sites and women's rights advertising. The poor lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

All I'm getting is VHI ads. I'm gonna die :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

robindch wrote: »

The Dialogues of Socrates, Aristotle's Ethics, Oedipus Rex, The City of God, Leviathan, Dante's Inferno, King Lear, Paradise Lost, War and Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Im getting advertising for surf gear :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dummm du-dum dum dummmm

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Alternatively subscribe and you can disable the adverts.

Hi Rev Hellfire.

Subscribe to what? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

dmw07 wrote: »
    Hi Rev Hellfire.

Subscribe to what? :o

To boards.ie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/payments.php

Subscription Info

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Galvasean wrote: »
    All I'm getting is VHI ads. I'm gonna die :(

Don't worry, we'll give you a proper atheist burial. At sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I was getting some sort of christian ads, might of been mormon. I also get ads for 3 broadband which is odd seeing as I'm using 3 broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I won't join any church that can't spell 'moron'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Dummm du-dum dum dummmm

Wise Wise Wise Wisee!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I didn't think people still saw ads in browsers, what with Adblock plus and all that...

Advertisement