Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch for VoIP Phones & Computers

Options
  • 23-05-2013 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

So I'm looking into switching over to VoIP and getting rid of my existing phones at home. I have a small network set up already with my computer, etc. Is there any reason why I should or shouldn't connect the phones into the same switch?

p.s. the VoIP phones I have my eye on will work via PoE or with an AC-DC wall socket adapter (supplied with the phones).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

It used to be that the one big downside to IP telephony is that an Eircom PSTN line is powered from the exchange, and will work even if the main power is missing. Obviously DECT phones etc. won't work without local power, but a normal telephone handset plugged into an Eircom socket will work regardless. So if you need to make an emergency call you can still do so.

These days most people have mobile phones which they can use in an emergency instead, so that's less of an issue, especially as there are usually multiple mobile phones in a given home.

As for the switch, you might want to see if it support QoS so that you can avoid the VOIP traffic getting affected by other network traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

swampgas wrote: »
    It used to be that the one big downside to IP telephony is that an Eircom PSTN line is powered from the exchange, and will work even if the main power is missing. Obviously DECT phones etc. won't work without local power, but a normal telephone handset plugged into an Eircom socket will work regardless. So if you need to make an emergency call you can still do so.

These days most people have mobile phones which they can use in an emergency instead, so that's less of an issue, especially as there are usually multiple mobile phones in a given home.

As for the switch, you might want to see if it support QoS so that you can avoid the VOIP traffic getting affected by other network traffic.

Thanks for the info!!!
    Phones are all set up and working perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Hi Mark

I have some PoE switches if your interested

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/3com-24-port-poe-switch/3188387

Advertisement